looking for a keyshot material to create bump maps from 3d files

Started by schinken, January 12, 2019, 12:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schinken

hi!

I am looking for a way to create my own bump maps from 3d files (which I build in solidworks). The idea was that I open the 3d file in keyshot, get a plain orthographic top view and then use a material which gives it a greyscale coloring with the area of the geometry being closer to the camera getting darker and the area of the geometry being further away from the camera being brighter. Thr goal would be to get an acurate bump map representation of the 3d file I can use as a pattern to create surface texture in solidworks (creating 3d texture from bumpmaps is a new feature in solidworks 2019...).

Any idea to create such a material in keyshot?

thanks!!!

INNEO_MWo

You can use a simple diffuse material with a color fade in camera mapping mode and tweak the color stops depending on the distance. And render if pro license is available the normal pass to get more accurate results.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

PS: written on a mobile

schinken

Josip_ZG

You should also be able to do that with depth pass. Apply any material to the model, it doesn't matter. Before rendering, check the depth pass. It gets exported as .exr, open it with Photoshop. It will ask you if you want to open it as alpha channel or transparency. I only use it for creating depth of field, so I go with alpha channel, you should try both options (when you choose alpha, PS reads it as a 3D file). After that, adjust the exposure, offset and gamma values under "Exposure" option. Darker values are always closer and lighter values are always further away from the camera. Watch this video if you're not familiar with a depth pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iMUp5gVsY

INNEO_MWo

the depth pass works fine!

Attached you'll find a simple cone and the output of the render with depth and normal pass. The camera was set orthographic from the top.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco