I could cry. How in god's name do studios work?!

Started by Penteon, January 21, 2021, 10:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penteon

I spent the last 4 hours going through a bunch of camera angles and multimaterial combinations to create like 63 studios.  I went to add them a queue and now ALL THE COLORS for each studio are the same.  It's almost like if you have a model open the multi-material of every studio changes to that color?!?  This doesn't make any sense.  NONE.  This software is so quirky and counterintuitve at times.  It's driving me nuts.  Can someone tell me how to please keep a studio safe from changes that have NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT STUDIO. 

RogerDarwin

I'm sorry for you.Have you tried contacting customer support? :'(

Eric Summers

Do you have these settings checked in the Studios window? And are you changing the multi-materials for the new studio in the Project - Materials tab or the Studios window? If you're in the Studios window make sure the active studio is the one you want the material changes on.

Penteon

Quote from: Eric Summers on January 22, 2021, 09:57:00 AM
Do you have these settings checked in the Studios window? And are you changing the multi-materials for the new studio in the Project - Materials tab or the Studios window? If you're in the Studios window make sure the active studio is the one you want the material changes on.

Thanks for answering Eric.  While Keyshot is a wonderful software, there are lots of quirks to it, that to me, derive from developers that are extremely familiar with the software and "how things are done" not being able to adequately think about or support different workflows.  All of this could very easily be solved by having a lock button (as they do with cameras) for a studio that you no longer want to edit and want to make safe from changes.  There are just too many ways to inadvertently change the config/setup in a studio and the fact that thumbnails do not update to indicate a change to that studio makes the situation even worse.  What is the point of having a thumbnail if it literally misrepresents what's currently in that studio? 

Secondly I realize the screen you're talking about, but there's a bug or quirk in the software.  If you right click on the ribbon at the top of the viewport there's a check option there that will allow you to add a "add studio" button.  This is actually the perfect workflow, and is much easier than having to fill out a bunch of drop downs in the studio window itself.  You essentially get everything to look the way you want it in the scene/viewport and hit "add studio" and there it is.  No awkward fumbling with drop downs or check boxes you'd otherwise have to select in the studio window.  The problem is, if you add a studio this way -- IT IGNORES -- the settings you mention in your post and doesn't lock any of those options in place.  So if you go to change materials/colors on your models, it somehow changes ALL the studios you added using that method.  I realize this is probably not the typical way that people create studios, but it's actually a whole hell of a lot faster and easier, and it SHOULD work as expected.

Finally the awkward and over complicated configurator would not have to be used if there was simply a drop down within each studio that featured a model set with a corresponding multi-material selector (I challenge anyone to successfully use the configurator on their first try, using only the in-window instructions or via the documentation provided by Luxion).

Penteon

Quote from: RogerDarwin on January 22, 2021, 07:07:14 AM
I'm sorry for you.Have you tried contacting customer support? :'(