Server Grade Multi-Core+GPU build discussion

Started by JH, August 27, 2011, 06:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JH

Hello all,

I am looking for input:

I have a pc (i7 2600K@ 4.5GHz, 300SSD Max IOPS, 16GB RAM, P9P67 & Calibre GTX480) which works fine for general use, SolidWorks and is ok at rendering (72fps with camera.bip).  I have noticed that server based cpus get much better render times then desktop based cpus at the same GHz. I believe more fps power means less render time. So I wonder if it is possible to merge server power with ease of use & graphics power (PCI 2.0 x16 ) of a desktop pc? Use dual server class cpus and descrete graphics that is. This way one can use the pc as any other pc but when its time to render the dual server cpus go to work.
I know I could build a seperate rendering platform but I would like to build an all in one solution. I work form home so a single pc would be nice.

After a quick web search I didnt see much evidence of such a machine. Most workstation builds my contacts have are just like mine but using a workstation card rather than a gaming card. To be honest the gaming card can handle large Solidworks assemblies (8000 parts plus so far) just fine and are less costly. Little tip, this applies to NVIDIA cards only (have used 4 differnt ones now) as I have tried this with ATI gaming cards with horrible results. Not to mention desktop gpus allow for those extracurricular gpu based programs.

Seeing as Keyshot relies on cpu power I am back to the root of this topic...  

Is combining server cpu power and desktop graphics possible?
If so, what is recommended?

Let the discussion begin & thanks in advance all.

JH

So I dont understand why the two arent available together?
Server power+graphics power...

Doesnt sound crazy to me. Fast cpus paired with gaming/workstation gpus.

Anyone got some advice or build suggestions?

guest84672

KeyShot will only take advantage of the CPU for raytracing, not the GPU.

JH

Thanks for the reply. 

I don't think I am being clear.  I am looking to build a all in one PC that renders faster then my current setup. 
I primarily use SolidWorks (GPU dependent) and Keyshot (CPU dependent).  So I would like to find out what my limits are.  I already have a fast i7 2600k setup but using more cores somehow (maybe a server platform) would be better. 

So what is the highest Multi-core/Multi-CPU (for rendering) pc I can build that uses discrete graphics (for SolidWorks) aswell?

Is a marriage of server tech (lots of cores/CPUs) and workstation graphics an option?

Chad Holton

Your limit may be the size of your wallet. Check these out:

http://helmer2.sfe.se/

and even more crazy:

http://helmer3.sfe.se/

I think this may be a couple years old now so it may be a little cheaper to build these.  ;)

KeyShot

You can simply put in more CPUs. The more cores you have the faster KeyShot will render.

JH

Thank you but is there a real world solution readily available.

Those are custom made PCs. I dont mind building something but all parts must be on the consumer level.

"Simply put in more cpus"....where? In what? In that dream of an unlimited budget build named Helmer/River?

So I have only built desktop level PCs, can I for instance:

2x Sandy Bridge-E CPUs on 1 mobo
Then add my GPU (Quadro or GTX)
?

If so why doesnt eveyone do this?

Chad Holton

Sorry, I thought the topic was "Highest possible Multi-Core+GPU build discussion"  ;)

Real world solution with consumer available parts: http://helmer.sfe.se/
It's 4 years old, can you imagine what can be done now?  :)

JH

Can KeyShot be used on the Helmer setup?

Oh and I guess I meant "highest possible" desktop or server build....not so much of a complete custom build like Helmer. I would do it if I completely understood what he did. Gonna keep reading though I would like to build something less custom and more mainstream so I can use the system for other tasks.

Gracias for the info.

Chad Holton

"
Quote from: JH on August 29, 2011, 08:32:09 PM
Can KeyShot be used on the Helmer setup?

Never tried, but I don't see why not.

quigley

You said SolidWorks - GPU, Keyshot, CPU?

That is not actually true. SolidWorks is primarily a CPU intensive app. GPU functions only really affect RealView which only works on certified GPUs like the Quadros and some ATI cards - it doesn't work on any gaming card. GPU functions in SolidWorks are pretty limited and really only come into play if you are grunting around huge assemblies with Lightweight off. If you want to see any real improvements then go for CPU power, 64 bit and lots of RAM as that will boost things far more than any GPU will.

Personally I'd probably opt for a high RAM, Xeon based machine with a mid range GPU. You can pick these up from Dell Outlet for

JH

I do know that through personal trial and fail, ATI non-workstation cards will not work with SolidWorks. Only NVidia gaming cards can still display everything correctly (no eye candy though).  I tried single and 2x ATI 6970 configs to only get sluggish/glitchy wire frame results....nothing displayed at all if OpenGL wasnt used. Not usable hardware at all.
Yes SoliWorks does tax the CPU aswell.

My problem is not graphics its a cpu power to rendering ratio. I need to tip the scales for quicker renders and I believe a multi cpu server is going to be my answer.
Not sure if the gains are really there though coming from a i7 2600k@4.5GHz (rated at 72fps on camera.bip).

I could go dual Xeon and hope that I can throw my GTX480 in it so I can do more then just work on this rig.
Old tech, though I did see a guy or two with decent fps ratings in the camera.bip test results using dual Xeons.

My understanding is that the most up to date Intel server cpu are not compatible in dual configs. So I think I have to wait till Sandy Bridge-E hits the markets to build a dual server class setup utilizing the Sandy Bridge architecture.
That said, Sandy Bridge-E is not overclockable so the GHz will be less than what I have now...but there will be two of them vs my current 1 i7.

I can use a server (and add a Gaming Vid card) as a all-in-one (Keyshot, SolidWorks, PhotoShop, Music Editing & Gaming) workstation right? 

Thoughts?