Materials from one bip file to another

Started by wb-one, January 18, 2019, 07:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wb-one

Hi,
I have been using Keyshot for a while now. But I only use it occasionally and with it being such a complex and powerful bit of software sometimes I cannot fathom how to solve an issue as it arises.

Currently I am having real trouble trying to get a material used on one product to faithfully reproduce on another product. The geometry of the component is identical in each model. I have even gone so far as to import the model directly into an existing scene and tried directly copy and pasting the material from one component to the other in the second model. However despite doing this the surface appears totally black when it should be a deep blue carbon fibre.

I have also tried saving the materials in one project to my library. Then opening the model in a totally separate bip and applying the materials. In some cases this works perfectly with certain materials. But again the carbon fibre is just black. I have checked my material maps and all the settings within the bump map etc and they are faithful to the original.

Can anyone offer me a pointer?

Thank you  :o

designgestalt

hello wb-one,
what you did would be the two ways I would have suggested and that I know of...
since this does not work it could only be, that you are missing a linked texture or map. but you said, you checked this as well...
you could spread a neutral file with the materials and I can countercheck, if this is possible for you.
but this sounds a bit like a bug, to be honest ...
cheers
designgestalt

INNEO_MWo

In this case I would create a material template based on the (original imported) material and not the parts name.
KeyShot should copy all material information as well the textures to the material template folder. And I guess the mapping option as well the values should be equal to the original. Perhaps customized mappings or UVs can cause some differences.
But this solution should work better then manually copy and paste.

I've tried it on a simple scene using KeyShot 8 with new created materials that are not content of my library.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Marco