LEGO 6923 Particle Ionizer

Started by zpaolo, September 27, 2011, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpaolo

This was going to be just a quick rendering, but then I started playing with materials and depth of field... The model is the M-Tron Particle Ionizer, it was modeled in Pro/ENGINEER brick by brick, assembled in Pro/E and rendered using Keyshot.

I'm testing the demo version of Keyshot right now and I think that for "showcase" shots there's nothing that can beat its speed. At least if we consider speed of scene setup, rendering is quite lengthy too if you want DOF and no grain.

Paolo

PS: See more of my renderings at http://zpaolo.deviantart.com more keyshot stuff coming soon :)

Josh3D

Love it Paolo! Colors, especially the fluorescent green is spot on! Also, welcome to the KeyShot forum!

DeteZvezda

Excellent work ...  ;D ... Can you share the setting for green plexi ...  :P

fario

zpaolo

Thank you all for the positive feedback and comments, I'll post the green material as soon as possible, but I must say that at least part of the glowing effect was obtained in post-production :)

It's really tricky to setup a LEGO scene that doesn't look too dull and uninspiring, materials are simple so one have to choice the proper HDRI lighting and specularity colors to make a realistic and interesting look. And, modeling is unforgiving here, bump maps won't work for the "real" LEGO look :)

Paolo

Chad Holton

feher

Your green plactic is perfect ! I think I just stared at your image for five minutes looking at the green pieces...lol GREAT work ! Not a big fan of how you used Deep of Field but not a big deal. It's subjective.
Thanks for sharing !
Tim

swashbuckler

Wow, that's really fantastic! I remember playing with every one of those pieces from that set as a kid, good job!

zpaolo

I generally don't use DOF for LEGO shots because it's not faithful to historical LEGO pictures (I mean, in real LEGO footage everything was in focus and simply lit, to show the models better), in this case I exagerated with DOF to focus the attention to... the "LEGO" writings on the studs :D

The green material is a transparent plastic with black diffuse, white specular, dark green diffuse transmission and light bright green specular transmission. Roughness to zero and IOR to 1.5. This material is nothing special in itself, you have to chose the right ambient image to make it stand out, an image with large, soft light panels will work very well as the soft highlights will be reflected on the transparent surface. Also a high level of ray recursion is necessary to obtain the correct refractions.

The glowing effect was obtained via composition: I re-rendered the image with strong corona and bloom effects, but that tends to wash out all the details, so I retained only the parts of the "bloomed" image where the green halo "spilled" to the neighboring areas.

Paolo

Imz

Nice work!

It's definitely interesting to hear people describe their post-production process- I tend to do very little to my renders after Keyshot- always room to learn more!

lillusaur