How to make proper looking car lights?

Started by bronxbomber2313, September 08, 2011, 12:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronxbomber2313

Hi, i am new to Keyshot (which so far is amazing) and im having problems getting the headlights, reflectors, and tail lights to look right/real on my saleen s7. I don't what material set up i need to get it looking like it does on the actual vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated  ;D.

Here are some renders of my current set up in Keyshot and what im trying to achieve:

bronxbomber2313

This is my first stab at a car model too, so critiques are welcomed!

JeffM

Let's start with the tail lights, can you post a close up of what you have currently?

bronxbomber2313

Here is my current attempt at the headlights. I hid the peice of geometry that i had behind the colored glass and added the relfector normal map to the glass materials. Also fixed the shape of the two light peices to better match the reference image.

bronxbomber2313

I cant seem reproduce the above image when there's another object behind the taillights (like the body of the car). The glass gets really dark and doesnt look like a reflector/taillight any more

bronxbomber2313

here's what the tailLights look like when the car is in the scene. I dont know how to get them to look right when everything is in the scene.

Tiho Ramovic

Hi!
Try putting something reflective inside tail light (look little better at the photo of the real car´s tail light and you can see that behind clear red plastic is some reflective material and light bulb, that reflective material is what you need) and play a little with number of ray bounces.
Hope this helps.

Tiho Ramovic

bronxbomber2313

Alright Tiho, i'll give it a shot. Where are the ray bounces located?

trice1

Bronxbomber2313>>This is covered in the rear so all light is coming from the front.

Tiho Ramovic

Ray bounce options are located: Options/Realtime (thats for realtime) and Render/Quality (for the final render).