Main Menu

Dual Platinum 8169 = 617

Started by wayneheim, January 23, 2019, 03:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayneheim

Just set up dual platinum 8168 Lenovo system with 192 gb of ram. With only keyshot installed, generated a 617 at the peak.

mattjgerard

That's nuts! I mean beyond the price of the processors, that speed is nuts!

What else are you using the machine for? I can't imagine a keyshot workstation or even a render node requiring that much RAM?

Will Gibbons

3D Off the Page

wayneheim

Ram fills all the slots so the CPU's are not being starved.  Use a big chunk of it for a ram disc.

mattjgerard

Quote from: wayneheim on January 24, 2019, 03:50:07 PM
Ram fills all the slots so the CPU's are not being starved.  Use a big chunk of it for a ram disc.

Starved of what though? In my years of running 3d programs, GPU renderers, AE, PPRo, Avid, Protools, etc I've yet to wish to have had more than 32gb of ram (OK, AE will take as much as you let it, and sometimes more, but for RAM previews and such) With the advent of M.2 PCIe drives are RAM disks still a thing that is needed? Sorry, not trying to be obtuse or anything, I am just really trying to envision the use of that much RAM outside of virtualization or server usage.

I remember using RAM disks for AE previews waaaayyyy back in the day. It was one of the biggest leaps forward at that point, but RAM was so silly expensive compared to today, jumping from 512mb to 2gb in our AVID machine cost us damn near 6 months rent on our office space!

I could load pretty much  every KS project I've worked on in the past 2 months into RAM on that machine. Or open a couple dozen Chrome browser tabs:)

Still, 617fps though....

wayneheim

1st, got an incredible deal from a system builder so I filled out the slots. ($6750 for the system)

I turn off the windows swap file. I also use PrimoCache to to further speed up the drives. Yes it does noticeably speed up even an nvme drive. Set my Adobe swap files and cache's to use the ram disc. (Photoshop and Lightroom use a huge amount of space. Lightroom's preview cache can be 50gb+ alone.) At shut down I write the content of the cache to an nvme drive so I install some applications to it as well. Cache auto backs up every 5 min.) When I'm working on large scenes I work and load them from the ram drive. Some of my Keyshot scenes are close to a gig.  So yes it might be a bit of overkill but if you have multiple apps like this open at the same time the ram usage goes way up as well. I have noticed in the past if I pass the 50-75% ram usage that it can start to cause instability so I try to allow a healthy overhead if/when possible.

mattjgerard

That's pretty intense! Thanks for the insight, makes more sense.

That's an unbelievable price, seeing that the processors themselves retail for just shy of the price you paid for the whole setup!

I can't imagine how fast my LED's and cloudy plastics would resolve at that speed. Insane.

wayneheim

The chips are  qualification sample (QS) CPUs. These are final production chips sent to manufacturers to test/design their systems. They are supposed to be exactly the same as retail but if you can find them, quite a bit cheaper.

menizzi

Quote from: wayneheim on January 23, 2019, 03:15:26 PM
Just set up dual platinum 8168 Lenovo system with 192 gb of ram. With only keyshot installed, generated a 617 at the peak.

That is a power house. I am hoping 3rd gen TR stick to the 25% 7nm increase amd is saying. That would put us into the 600 range and if cores go up another 8-16 things are just going to get retarded fast with lower power consumption.   

abeer

Artists using Zbrush, high density simulations or poly cloud visualization knows 32gb is a pretty serious limitation.