Main Menu

A few Sci-Fi renders

Started by LM6, January 20, 2019, 09:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM6

Bits and pieces from the last few weeks., mainly using vertex data to drive different parameters in Keyshot 8.2

designgestalt

I think, the only reason, why you get such little feedback is, that you leave us behind speechless .... !!!
for me there is few more to say, than just :
Phenomenal !!!
I would be curious on how you develop your ideas ...
also, how did you model those facette-suface-paper-like guys ???
even if I would had such a genious idea in my head, I would not know where and how to start without a Matrix-like USB plug in my neck ...
breathlessly,
designgestalt!

mattjgerard

Also, vertex data is a bit of a black magic box to a lot of people, so while the images are fantastic and awesome, I have no idea of what is going on in the background to achieve it. I'm not sure what you aren't doing that would normally need to be done in a different version of KS that doesn't support vertex data. What would be awesome is if you could let us in on is your workflow, how do you generate the vertex data? What is vertex data? How is it stored? Once its pulled into keyshot (via an alembic file if I recall correctly) how is the data used? There was a bit of discussion on the slack channel about it, but it is still evading my understanding:)

Don't get me wrong, the images are really great, I'm just not sure what the vertex data is doing to help make them.

LM6

hi chaps..sorry for the late reply on this..I actually thought these images had not posted, I tried a few times but the page just sat there doing nothing so I left and forgot about it.

I will answer your questions in my next post.

Here are another couple of images using vertex data to drive the edge wear on this mech/robot

Eric Summers

That's a pretty sweet looking mech! I'm getting a bit of a Bioshock vibe from it. Very cool!  8)

LM6

Quote from: designgestalt on January 24, 2019, 12:44:47 AM
I think, the only reason, why you get such little feedback is, that you leave us behind speechless .... !!!
for me there is few more to say, than just :
Phenomenal !!!
I would be curious on how you develop your ideas ...
also, how did you model those facette-suface-paper-like guys ???
even if I would had such a genious idea in my head, I would not know where and how to start without a Matrix-like USB plug in my neck ...
breathlessly,
designgestalt!

Thanks for your comments designgestalt, it would be nice to get more feedback but its not a problem.
Unless iam doing work for a client, most of the time I just like to doodle re processing things until something starts to form or pop out, maybe an alien head /robot in ZBrush or particles and splines in C4D or even some vertex painting in 3D Coat.

The 'facette-suface-paper-like guys' came from a sculpt (Zbrush) that was  re meshed (fairly low poly) then exported as an .obj, it was then imported into Moi3D (I have a beta of V4) I then extracted curves from the edges and exported them out via .igs, imported the curves into C4D and used them as an XP emitter source object. I then added the the XParticles PlanarMesher to create the facet effect, adjusted to taste and exported everything (meshes,splines) out as an .alembic to bring into Keyshot.

I hope that makes sense  :)

LM6

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 24, 2019, 05:41:30 AM
Also, vertex data is a bit of a black magic box to a lot of people, so while the images are fantastic and awesome, I have no idea of what is going on in the background to achieve it. I'm not sure what you aren't doing that would normally need to be done in a different version of KS that doesn't support vertex data. What would be awesome is if you could let us in on is your workflow, how do you generate the vertex data? What is vertex data? How is it stored? Once its pulled into keyshot (via an alembic file if I recall correctly) how is the data used? There was a bit of discussion on the slack channel about it, but it is still evading my understanding:)

Don't get me wrong, the images are really great, I'm just not sure what the vertex data is doing to help make them.

Hi Matt.. just to be clear, not all the images posted are using vertex data, the ones that are not are using the new 8.2 splines feature.

We have talked about this a few times on the Slack channel. The best way to show whats going on is for me to make a video  which I will do if I get a few more requests.

Just to be clear Vertex color data or as its called in Zbrush, PolyPaint has been there for Keyshot users ever since the KeyshotBridge but now Keyshot 8.2 supports vertex color data that has been created in other software via alembic cache files, including animations.

LM6

Quote from: Eric Summers on February 08, 2019, 07:45:49 AM
That's a pretty sweet looking mech! I'm getting a bit of a Bioshock vibe from it. Very cool!  8)

Thanks Eric  :)

Zeltronic