Main Menu

UI Wishes

Started by mattjgerard, January 25, 2019, 01:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Here a couple niggling things that could use some smoothing out when just using the system. Got caught in a situation that dictated a large number of images needed to be made quickly for some sales meetings next week, and when working under tight deadlines these couple things popped out at me-

1) Labels- when duplicating a label, keep all the settings the same when dragging a new graphic into the file field. Right now I duplicate a label, and in the new label it resets all the width/height settings when I drag the new file in. Kinda defeats the point of duplicating the label.

2) Performance mode- Turn all materials to diffuse with self shadowing on. Right now it keeps reflective and transparent/cloudy material attributes which really slows things down and isn't' as snappy as it needs to be when just placing and moving objects. Get rid of all reflectivity effects and transparency.

3) Move Texture Tool- Doesn't save its settings (translate/rotate tick boxes) when moving labels. I hate the way the "Position" mode works, and if I'm rotating a label it in 90deg increments and its faster to type that in. I just want it to remember that I turn position mode off, rotation off and leave translation ticked. Right now it resets every time.

4) In the Labels tab, naming the Node doesn't change the name of the label in the list above. Would be great if it did.

5) Be able to reorder labels in the label tab list.

6) In the Render Queue Window, move the "Send To Network" Button to the bottom just above Process Queue. Its a bit out of place buried amongst the Add buttons.

7) Add "Save Camera" Button to ribbon up top,  and add option to add hotkey to Save Camera function.

Otherwise, if it wasn't for Studios, Model sets and multimaterials, I would never have been able to get all the images I needed done in time without plentiful unpaid overtime. I can't imagine trying to get this amount of work done in another renderer. Well done everyone!

mattjgerard

Here's another one, for longer lists of product families colorize model sets, similar to colorizing layers in photoshop. Works great to visually organize groups. Next step would be folders in the Model list pane, but I'll save that for later :)

Probably best to implement through a RMB+Click menu, Colorize-> then a list of colors or a color picker. And a hotkey assignable of course :)

mattjgerard

And one more to add, the more I work totally within keyshot kitbashing my scenes together, I am spending a lot of time moving things around in the scene tree. One thing I really use a lot in my other modeling app is the ability to copy/paste parts right in the scene tree. Cinema has a really handy feature that if I CTRL-X (cut) a part, I can scroll anywhere, select another part/group then hit paste and it places the part that I cut right above the selected. This gets rid of the dragging and trying to hold the cursor right at the right spot at the top of the scene tree window to get the scrolling action then dropping it in the right spot.

Would be awesome to be able to do that.

Esben Oxholm

Great suggestions, Matt and definitely a +1 on the coloring of modelsets, studios and actually on all list items. Animation rows as well. That would be sweet. Do it all the time in After Effects to keep a visual overview.

Eric Summers

I definitely agree, moving parts in the scene tree can be a bit touchy.

As for your comment about folders in the model sets pane, I'd add that folders in the studios list would be good too.

DMerz III

:) Great list!

Similar to your first one. I'd like it if my UV map scale would stop changing when I switch the file to a new map. When it is a scale of 1 to 1, I don't want it to suddenly change to .5747 (or whatever random scale it picks). I want it to stay at 1.0 by 1.0.

RRIS

Quote from: Eric Summers on February 07, 2019, 11:11:04 AM

As for your comment about folders in the model sets pane, I'd add that folders in the studios list would be good too.

About studios, I'd love to be able to re-order my studios up/down in the list (not sure if this is already a KS8 feature, I'm still on 7).

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: RRIS on February 12, 2019, 02:11:13 AM
Quote from: Eric Summers on February 07, 2019, 11:11:04 AM

About studios, I'd love to be able to re-order my studios up/down in the list (not sure if this is already a KS8 feature, I'm still on 7).

Just checked. It's possible in KS8 :)

DMerz III

Yes, you can now reorder the studios in the studios panel, however, that order will not be respected in the 'Add Studios to Quque" panel, which is on my wishlist for the next update.

mattjgerard

Quote from: DMerz III on February 07, 2019, 02:59:42 PM
:) Great list!

Similar to your first one. I'd like it if my UV map scale would stop changing when I switch the file to a new map. When it is a scale of 1 to 1, I don't want it to suddenly change to .5747 (or whatever random scale it picks). I want it to stay at 1.0 by 1.0.

Yes, that too. Just want to swap the map out, don't want to have to readjust it, most of mine aren't UV mapped so it takesd a lot of tweaking to get it to sit right and line up with LED holes and switches. Someone changes the label or something and while it does work to just resave over the current map, I like to keep revisions of those instead of overwriting.

Eric Summers

Quote from: DMerz III on February 12, 2019, 08:53:15 AM
Yes, you can now reorder the studios in the studios panel, however, that order will not be respected in the 'Add Studios to Quque" panel, which is on my wishlist for the next update.

I can't count the number of times I've missed rendering a studio because it moved to some odd position in the list.

Esben Oxholm

Yeah, this caught me by surprise just today.
Would be nice to have the add to queue order follow the studio list order :)

mattjgerard

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on February 12, 2019, 10:39:02 AM
Yeah, this caught me by surprise just today.
Would be nice to have the add to queue order follow the studio list order :)

I did notice this earlier, and yes that would be fantastic to fix. I do all my sending to the queue from studios now, and will be on my current project which has 37 models in the same product family, plus material derivatives that I get to use multi materials for! Lotsa fun!