Why does Edit>Add Geometry add to all active Model Sets?

Started by Eric Summers, January 28, 2019, 10:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Summers

If I use the Add Geometry option to add a cylinder with several Model Sets active, why is the cylinder added to all of the active Model Sets? It seems a little odd; perhaps I'm missing something.
I always forget to have only one set active and have to search through several model sets to delete the duplicate parts.

mattjgerard

One of my questions as well. I think i posted that in the wish list are somewhere....

INNEO_MWo

It seems, that the added geometry will be add to all visible model sets and not only the active on. So you'll can control it by hiding unwanted model sets.

Hope that helps.

Chees
Marco

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on February 03, 2019, 11:33:48 AM
It seems, that the added geometry will be add to all visible model sets and not only the active on. So you'll can control it by hiding unwanted model sets.

Hope that helps.

Chees
Marco

That is what we have figured out is happening, but its not what would be expected. It should be just added to the highlighted model set. I have reported it as a bug and in the wish list, hope they look into it. Its a bit cumbersome the way it behaves now.

INNEO_MWo

But activate a model set is just a double click or Alt+LMT away.

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on February 04, 2019, 09:28:51 AM
But activate a model set is just a double click or Alt+LMT away.

But turning them all back on isn't :)

I get it, it seems like a small thing, but In my scene I'm working on now, I have almost 15 model sets, 25 studios. If I have only 7 of those model sets turned on, and I just want to add a cylinder to a part to be a cable coming out, I have to remember which of those model sets are turned on if I double click the model set I want to add it to. Its a small thing, but it annoys more than it should. Its not intuitive as to how we think it should work when we are "in the zone" and just trying to be as productive as we can. That's why Esben listed his recommendations, I and others have followed suit. Just trying to make tweaks to the UI and how it works so that it works better ! Not a huge thing, but something that workflow-wise could use a tweak.

Eric Summers

Same for me; all my scenes are broken out into the various parts and I may have 5-8 model sets active in a particular studio. If I need to add a helper cylinder for a light or pivot point, I never remember to have only one model set active. Then I have to go back and delete a bunch of duplicates, since Undo doesn't undo the addition of the cylinders.

Like Matt said, it isn't a big thing but it can be a bit frustrating.

INNEO_MWo

Hello Matt, hello Eric.

I totally understand this from a users perspective - but - can't stop thinking as a consultant (and that's my daily job).
So if you prepare studios, the "way back" from an isolated model set is very easy.

Maybe KeyShot can ask in an extra list of model sets, which model set should get the new geometry (all, active, selected)?!

That should help a lot!

So we can hope for a new release with this feature.

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

Quote from: MWo on February 05, 2019, 08:37:28 AM
Hello Matt, hello Eric.

I totally understand this from a users perspective - but - can't stop thinking as a consultant (and that's my daily job).
So if you prepare studios, the "way back" from an isolated model set is very easy.

Maybe KeyShot can ask in an extra list of model sets, which model set should get the new geometry (all, active, selected)?!

That should help a lot!

So we can hope for a new release with this feature.

Cheers
Marco

Yes, that would work, adding the option as long as the default was "Selected Model Set" and stayed that way.

From a different perspective, I'm trying to imagine a scenario when I would want to add the same geometry to multiple model sets, and I just can't come up with one. So not sure why it was even planned to operate this way. I just don't see any reason to add the same cube to every model set.

INNEO_MWo

Add a ground plane can help in different model sets?!

I am sure that there are a few users that needs exakt this way.

mattjgerard

Marco you are tenacious and I like the way you think. I appreciate your points! I think an option would be fantastic and the perfect solution. I certainly don't want to limit others just because of the way I work, so make an option and everyone wins!

Ich wünsche Ihnen einen wunderschönen Tag!

Eric Summers

Just to echo Matt here, I certainly don't want to change a function in a way that would mess someone else up. Making it an option would be a great way to make everyone happy. And this sort of dialog is partly why I post these sorts of things.  It's always good to think about it from a different perspective, so thanks Marco!  :)

Rex

Thanks guys, this has been taken into consideration for some import improvements set for KeyShot 9.

INNEO_MWo

Thank you all for your support. I like this community and the way of helping each other.
It is fun to work with!

It is a great thing that you do!