Label Problem With PET

Started by Orhun Unal, January 30, 2019, 02:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orhun Unal

Hello, I am trying to apply label on the PET bottle but it shows the label on the both surface. I tried to change the depth but it did not work. I am trying to render shampoo bottle. Bottle material is PET and also I have liquid in the model.

mattjgerard

That appears to be actually the shadow of the label. Does the backside grey text move around if you change the lighting position? If it does, then its a shadow and you have different solutions than if it is the label on the inside of the bottle.

DriesV

Hi Orhun,

The quickest solution would be to separate the surface you want to apply the label to.
You can  do that either in CAD by assigning a different color to those faces, or in KeyShot by using the Geometry Editor (KeyShot Pro).
For using the Geometry Editor, right click the bottle object in the real-time view and select 'Edit Geometry'. In the Geometry Editor dialog, select 'Split Object Surfaces'. This will allow you to split selected surfaces into separate objects. More information can be found in our manual.
After the geometry edit, the split surface will have an unlinked material and you can apply a label to the split surface. The label will only affect the single surface and will not be projected onto the other bottle geometry.

I hope that helps.

Dries

Orhun Unal

Thanks for your answers I used multi material  I rendered without label and also I rendered with label pass. I combined them on the Photoshop.

Finema

HI,
You can use Occlusion in Opacity channel.  ;)
I join an example.

designgestalt

hello Finema,
there is, as with many problems in Keyshot, a ton of ways to find a workaround, which is by all imperfection we always face, a sign of a good tool, that does not hinder your creativty.

your solution, my Sir,  however is by far the most elegant one, I have ever seen for this problem !

chapeau !

Finema

Thanks  ;)
I'm packaging designer and i use this workaround all the days  ;)
It is also to combine it with Composite Color node....

Orhun Unal

Quote from: Finema on January 31, 2019, 06:38:13 AM
HI,
You can use Occlusion in Opacity channel.  ;)
I join an example.

Thanks for your solution it is very useful.

Finema

RRIS

Can anyone explain why/how that occlusion node works? I can clearly see it works.. but what's the thinking behind it?

mattjgerard

Quote from: RRIS on February 11, 2019, 02:24:34 AM
Can anyone explain why/how that occlusion node works? I can clearly see it works.. but what's the thinking behind it?

I'll take a stab at it so someone will correct me :) I think it distinguishes between surfaces that are visible to the camera or not, thus "occluded" from view ignoring the transparency of the object. Just surfaces that are facing away from or blocked from the camera view. Then that B+W map can be applied to different uses.

Close? Maybe?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on February 11, 2019, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: RRIS on February 11, 2019, 02:24:34 AM

I'll take a stab at it so someone will correct me :) I think it distinguishes between surfaces that are visible to the camera or not, thus "occluded" from view ignoring the transparency of the object. Just surfaces that are facing away from or blocked from the camera view. Then that B+W map can be applied to different uses.

Close? Maybe?

Close, yeah. But from what I can tell, occlusion has to do with nearby geometry and nothing to do with the camera. So, if you have a tube, the inner surface is occluded by itself. The outer surface is not occluded by anything (if it's floating in space). If the radius of this tube is 2" and your radius on the occlusion material is less than 2" then, the inner wall is not occluded by itself. If your occlusion material radius is greater than the inner radius of the tube, then it'll occlude itself.

Basically, if any nearby geometry is closer than the radius set in the occlusion texture, you'll get the shading to show up.

Finally, because the occluded color is black and occlusion is plugged into the opacity, it'll make the occluded areas invisible.

designgestalt

if explained from the master, it all sounds very logical!
nice!

cheers
designgestalt