KS incremental saves show as Creo versioned files - can't change to .bip?

Started by theAVator, January 31, 2019, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

When KS saves a backup of the file while I am working on it, for some reason it saves a .XX file where XX is whatever revision i.e.: MyFilename.bip.22
My system sees this as a Creo Versioned file and always wants to open it up in CreoView. When I choose to open it in Keyshot it opens fine, but even while performing a Save As, it won't convert it to a standard .bip that KS recognizes. It keeps trying to save it as the .XX file.

How do I stop that from happening? Or how do I convert it to a standard .bip that Keyshot recognizes?

Right now if I have Keyshot open, and do a File->Open, it won't show my file because it's not a .bip file, so I have to manually go through Windows Explorer to find the file> right click> open with... yadda yadda, kind of a pain to have to do every time.

If I export to a KS package, will that strip it away and after re-opening that, then let me save as an actual .bip file?

Niko Planke

Hey,

I would suggest to use the Save revision manager inside KeyShot (File->Revision Manager) to revert back to older file version if possible.

If that for some reason is not possible, the easiest way to "convert" them back to ".bip" is to remove the numbering by renaming the file.
MyFilename.bip.22->MyFilename.bip this will "convert" them to be a normal bip files again.
Note: This will impact the Save revision managers functionality.

Your windows might be set up to not show extensions.
If you can see the file extension skip ahead to step 6.

How to convert a KeyShot save revision to a Bip file:

• Open the folder the files a located in in the File explorer
  • Go to the view tab and click on Options
  • in the folder options window go to the the view tab
  • In the Advanced settings disable "Hide extensions for known file types"
  • Close and apply
  • Right click the versioned KeyShot file and chose rename
  • delete the extension such that is only says ".bip"

You should now have a conventional bip file.

An other way is to edit the registry on Windows to have the ".1"-".250" extensions to be associated with KeyShot instead of Creo. But this may have significant impact on Creos functionality and introduce other issues, so i would not recommend that.
Note: Only edit the registry if you are familiar with it and are aware of the risk involved.

theAVator

Thanks for the reply Niko,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the Revision Manager will work in this case as the original file had become corrupted and would not open without throwing an error and crashing the program, so I had gone back to this previous version, but whenever saving it would always save as the .XX version number regardless of whether I removed it or not.

As for the file renaming, that was the second thing I tried and it still associated it with the version number as the file type. Usually that works for most files/file types, but for some reason didn't work in this case.

Instead of the full blown registry edit, I know I can go into the programs settings and associate the filetypes through there, but that's sort of bandaid and could have further implications more in the KS realm and making all backup files visible to open instead of just the latest.

I guess that's sorta why I wondered about packaging it and unpackaging it, if that would kinda force the translation to the correct file.

At least for right now, I've been able to get what I need out of my file, so it's not a huge impact to me. But, more for keeping current files for future use and such it'd be nice to have it appear as the standard file.

Niko Planke

That is odd renaming should have worked. Did you double check the hide extensions setting in the exlporer?

I completely missed your question about saving a ksp. That has a good chance of working. As long as you are fine with losing the absolute texture paths since these will be stripped in the process.

Other than that I dont have Aby workable ideas.

I am glad to know you managed to recover your model.