Inconsistent XYZ Locations

Started by Rollk1, January 31, 2019, 03:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollk1

I have a lot of 3D files created from various designers over the years using different software (Rhino, Autodesk, etc), but are all exported in .STP format. I've noticed that when I import some files the XYZ locations aren't consistent. For example placing 1 item at 0,0,0 will be centered while another with the same location will be in a totally different location. Is there a setting I can change either when imported to KeyShot to make sure locations are the same, or something I can do with the original .STP file to override the default location?

HaroldL

It has been my experience in transferring files between CAD applications as STEP files that if the original model is not created at the origin (0,0,0) then it will not be located at the origin of the receiving application.
If you can open the file in a CAD/modeling application and assign a new coordinate system that relates to the models origin, then save and export it, you may have a better chance of having it close to 0,0,0 in Keyshot. That would be my suggestion, someone else may have a different solution.

joseph

Most 3D modeling and animation programs (TrueSpace, Blender, Rhino, 3D Max etc) had their vertical Z axis on 3D space.

CAD or MCAD that started out as  2D drafting/model space Y for vertical and X for horizontal axes and evolve to 3D modeling with Z axis as depth: AutoCAD, SolidWorks 3D extruded from 2D profile; while SolidEdge, IRONCAD, Catia, Creo, NX, Onshape had Z axis as height. To complicate matters if the part was not created at 0,0,0 or taken from an assembly STEP export will inherit the origin. You may need to find out also if 0,0,0, of the model was at its base or center.

I have to fiddle the model position Project>Scene>Position to get an idea where you want it and save the it as bip. For those that live link the model from a MCAD or else it will revert back in position once it is refreshed from the MCAD host.