Uninstall not working Trojan Virus found

Started by blueman, February 05, 2019, 07:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueman

Operating Windows 10.

I have attempted an uninstall of KeyShot8. When doing so, Microsofts Antivirus software detected a Trojan virus in the uninstall file.

I naturally deleted it and now I cannot uninstall Keyshot. The app is not listed in Add/remove apps in control panel but it it still shows  in Start Up and can open. There is an uninstall icon in the Start Menu but it only brings me back to the control panel Add/remove.

The Keystroke files are located in AppData/Local/KeyShot8 in a bin folder. The exe file is there but no install. Please help me uninstall this.

mattjgerard

Run the installer again to replace the files that were removed.

blueman

There is no more uninstall file (in the Keyshot folder in app data). The uninstall shortcut takes me back to control panel and no Keyshot app is listed there anymore

mattjgerard

Quote from: blueman on February 05, 2019, 10:01:04 AM
There is no more uninstall file (in the Keyshot folder in app data). The uninstall shortcut takes me back to control panel and no Keyshot app is listed there anymore

Understood, that is why you should run the installer again, to replace those uninstaller files. Then you can try to run the uninstaller and ignore the trojan warning. If you downloaded the installer from Luxion it will be trustworthy.

blueman

It was downloaded from this url

https://www.keyshot.com/try/

This is taken from my browser history. And followed by this Thank You URL immediately

https://www.keyshot.com/thank-you/?submissionGuid=851d9fa2-dd34-4277-943e-5d114ee74c36

blueman

I'm assuming Luxion and Keyshot.com are one in the same. Given the fact that the original download was then from Luxion and the virus was embedded in the uninstall file, I'm very hesitant to use the installer again. Is there another solution. I should not have to worry about this from a reputable site.

mattjgerard

Quote from: blueman on February 05, 2019, 04:34:03 PM
I'm assuming Luxion and Keyshot.com are one in the same. Given the fact that the original download was then from Luxion and the virus was embedded in the uninstall file, I'm very hesitant to use the installer again. Is there another solution. I should not have to worry about this from a reputable site.
Yes, Luxion is the maker of Keyshot, sorry for the confusion.

Its a strange situation, as this is the first time I've heard of the installer being affected by a trojan. If their main installer was in fact harboring a trojan you would think we would have heard more a bout it.

If I were you, I would re-download the installer, maybe even on a different computer. There is a chance the download was botched or infected some other way, or it was a false flag. That happens a lot as well. You can download the trial which is the same as the full version, just locked. Run a new scan on the new download and see if you get the same error. I would also suggest an email to support would be of great use as well, especially if there is a chance their installer has been compromised.

KeyShot

We have not heard of this issue before with any of our installers.

Lenny13

Magicmez

Hi,

I have the same trouble. Moreover, I can't use Keyshot anymore.The Keyshot windows closes itself during initialization...
Tried with the trial version with the same results...