Final render using "real time" renderer?

Started by Ryan Day, February 08, 2019, 11:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Day

Having an issue with a discrepancy between what I see in the realtime view and what I get after hitting the big ol' render button. I don't have time to chase down the route cause, I need to get these out now. I seem to recall earlier versions had the ability to process a final render using the real time renderer, but I can't find that button in KS8.

Any ideas? These renders should have gone out last night (and they did, with the discrepancy) but the client wants what I see in the realtime view.

In the attached image, left is realtime view, right is rendered.

Eric Summers

If you're using Custom Control in your render options, the render output can look different from the real time view. Max Samples and Max Time will look the same as the real time view. Hope this helps!

Ryan Day

Quote from: Eric Summers on February 08, 2019, 11:11:34 AM
If you're using Custom Control in your render options, the render output can look different from the real time view. Max Samples and Max Time will look the same as the real time view. Hope this helps!

Eric, you absolute gem! Thanks, that's perfect!

As an aside, any idea why the 'maximum time' at 8 minutes gives 80 samples whereas a custom control with 16 samples takes 15 minutes? Everything on default.

Eric Summers

Quote from: Ryan Day on February 08, 2019, 11:33:02 AM
Eric, you absolute gem! Thanks, that's perfect!

As an aside, any idea why the 'maximum time' at 8 minutes gives 80 samples whereas a custom control with 16 samples takes 15 minutes? Everything on default.

Glad I could help! :)

I'm not as well versed in the differences between Custom Control and Max Samples/Time as I should be. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in!

Ryan Day

Running into another issue, which only happens with render time selected. As you can see in the attachment (sensitive IP blurred out), the lower portion of the image is all black for the first little while during render processing. Eventually it shows up as well and resolves to the same degree as the rest of the render by the end of the time. However, everything that was under the black area displays in my final render shifted over one or two pixels. Any idea what's going on there or how to fix that?

This doesn't happen with custom control render. It looks like it's a straight horizontal shift so it's not difficult to fix in PS, but annoying; and since I'm rendering at a fairly high resolution (7500 pixels tall) it's easy to miss if I'm working quickly in post.

Eric Summers

Now that I do know. When you start to render at large sizes, KeyShot will automatically split your image into 'buckets'. Once it gets the first one to the specified number of samples, it goes onto the next and so on. I've never seen it shift the buckets by a pixel or two, though. If it shows up again, I'd contact support to let them know about it.

Ryan Day

Thanks, Eric. I'll keep an eye on it and get in touch with support if it persists.