Odd shadow looking stuff under model

Started by J.B., April 19, 2010, 05:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.B.

Here is an image of my model with some strange looking dark areas surrounding it in small areas that look as if they might resemble shadowing but not really. Any idea what setting I use to eliminate these as I get them very often.

Thank you,

- Jason

guest84672

Did you increase the shadow quality? Another idea may that the model may be cutting through the ground plane?

J.B.

Hi Thomas. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if I have the shadow quality turned up for this shot or not? I know I've messed around with that only a little, and it seemed to increase my render time considerably so I went back to a setting of 1 (default). But I will try that and see if that helps. I do know that it isn't intersecting the ground plane though. Everything is on top and sitting directly on it.

- Jason

J.B.

OK I just upped the shadow quality to 7. The oddities went significantly down but not gone completely. It only goes up to 10. Do I have to set the shadow quality all the way up to 10 for everything I do just to be sure I don't get the wierd stuff? That will make my rendering times go through the roof!

Any other ideas?

guest84672

J.B.

No it is 1.9.48

I downloaded the new one last night. I will try the new one.

Thanks,

- Jason

guest84672

Great - you should only need a setting between 2 - 4.

Namssorg

Sometimes you can solve that by raising your model off the ground plane ever so slightly.  Just the tiniest bit of a gap (less than a 'millimeter' even) seems to make that go away for me.

J.B.

efbiaye

I confirm, the artifacts appear if the object is touching the ground.
Just rise it a bit and it will be fine.

J.B.

The only problem with that is if you have so many parts in your model that were brought in at different times or whatever, Keyshot will only move them one at a time.