Sending to Queue or Network render, saving taking forever

Started by mattjgerard, February 15, 2019, 10:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I have a rather large bip file with 35 assembliies in it, each in its own model set, they are all product from the same series. Each model set weighs in anywhere from 50k to 14mm polys. Whole bip file is about 5gb. In sending each one of these to render roughs for review, I am setting the view with the free camera, and sending it to the network render one at a time. But, each time I do that it takes about 30-45 sec to save the file, then another 30-45 to save a copy to send to the render. Each assembly is a different size, shape etc, so there will eventually be a camera created for each one.

Am I right in thinking that when sending to the NR, it is saving the whole 5gb file? Or is it just exporting and packaging the visible model sets (which for me is one at a time)?

I gone to just grabbing screen shots for references for the product managers to approve, but is there a way to speed things up? I have yet to put them into studios, which I will end up doing once I start nailing down cameras and environments.

DMerz III

Great question. I've talked with some of my guys here who have experienced a similar file size and I think it might package the whole set of geometry each time, not sure if that's necessary. Also not sure if when you divide geometry into Model Sets, if that helps narrow down the stuff it packages each time.

So essentially, I don't have an answer. Sorry lol

Eric Summers

You're not alone, Matt. theAVator also mentioned this here: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=23854.0

And through all my render queue issues I've learned that for every render in the queue, KS creates an .ext and .geom file. I'm guessing that the .geom file would take some time to create when you have a 5gb file. I've got a queue rendering right now and the .geom files are all about the same size as the .bip file itself.

DMerz III

Interesting, Eric! I knew about the .ext but didn't know about the .geom file

mattjgerard

If I knew a bit more about scripting and python, I'd look into creating a "Save Studio to BIP" script, then just submit those to the render queue. That's what I see it should do internally, just ignore all the inactive model sets, and just save the active content.

Oddly, when I do create new bip files with the "Save active model sets" it doesn't reduce the file size either, so maybe they are connected.