Problem with alembic file

Started by designgestalt, February 22, 2019, 10:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

designgestalt

hello everybody,
this was my first try to work with an alembic file, but I cannot import the file into KS!

I work with KS 8.2.80
the Alembic file was created in Blender 2.80

when import the data I recive the attached message...
I scanned through the forum and tried different setups in Blender so far, but did not succeed.
anyone an idea ??
cheers
designgestalt

designgestalt

anyone ??
I know there are a lot of people working with Blender and Alembic file.
How do you convert your files from Blender to KS ?
I have scanned through the forum and checked all the obvious flaws, but that did not cover my problem so far ...
any help welcome ...
cheers
designgestalt

INNEO_MWo

Hey Desighgestalt.

Today I've read in the documentation (section: limitations and knows issues) that there's a difference if you installed KeyShot for everyone (KS resources in public documents) or for you (user documents). But I didn't tested it right now.
Perhaps you can share a simple example to reproduce the issue?

Hope that helps to find the right track.

Cheers / herzliche Grüße
Marco

designgestalt

hey Marco,
thanks for the feedback...!
Sure, I will send you a file tomorrow !
I assume, this is nothing, that I can change on the installation.
Would I have to re-install KS than?
cheers
designgestalt

Eric Summers

I believe I had a similar issue some time back, but with a 3DS Max file. There were two formats for the export: HDF5 and Ogawa. It turned out that only Ogawa would work. HDF5 would result it the error message you're getting if I remember correctly.

Not sure if Blender has similar options, but I thought I'd mention it.

INNEO_MWo

Moin.

Yes, in this case I would un-install KeyShot. All your settings are left in the public documents folder. After re-install KeyShot with the "only for me" option, you can copy the ks8settings.xml from the other path - before starting KeyShot. Then it should act as regular.

Hope that opens the alembic file.

You can also send me the file (contact in my profile).

Cheers
Marco

designgestalt

thanks Eric,
I am at the very begining with Blender, after the new version with the new UI I thought I give it another try.
But as far as I can tell, I do not have the option to change the format.
to my knowledge Blender uses Ogawa and this replaced HDF5, but I could well be wrong...

funny sidenote:
I tried a fluid simulation the other day and all the alembic files I created (5 different files) always brought up this message.
yesterday I tried a softbody animation, which I, just out of curiosity, tried to import to KS this morning and that worked without a problem... ???
I have to investigate further ...
cheers
designgestalt

designgestalt

Quote from: MWo on February 25, 2019, 09:42:28 PM
Moin.

Yes, in this case I would un-install KeyShot. All your settings are left in the public documents folder. After re-install KeyShot with the "only for me" option, you can copy the ks8settings.xml from the other path - before starting KeyShot. Then it should act as regular.

Hope that opens the alembic file.

You can also send me the file (contact in my profile).

Cheers
Marco

hey Marco,
I send you a PM...
I am hesitating to re-install KS, honestly.
I spend an unbelievable amount of hours from KS6 to KS7 to "repair" all my old files, that lost all their references.
the move from KS7 to KS8 was MUCH better, but not flawless !
there was a lot of discussion about  this also on the forum (i.e. link materials to files, like Adobe Illustrator does etc.), you might remember.
when I change now from all users (which I actually need, as I am not the only user in the office!) to single user, I assume, that all the files will loose their references again, as the library will move to my default path (unless I copy the material library to the common folder ?!?)
nonetheless, this sounds a bit risky to me at the current stage.
I would highly appreciate, if you could try and see if your KS "digests" my Alembic file !
as you might have read, I had some small success already and might be able to solve this without a re-installation...

thanks a bunch !!
cheers
designgestalt

Vini.longo

Hi all,

Same problem here, but with an Alembic file from Cinema 4D.
We still had Keyshot 7 installed here and it imported the Alembic with no problems.

To solve this issue we saved an .bip file from KS7 and imported it on KS8.

Thanks!

INNEO_MWo

So I verified the issue of the alembic file. As in the documentation mentioned, an "for everyone" installation (KeyShot resources in public documents) create this issue and an "only for me" installation not.

@designgestalt:
I will answer your PM.

Cheers
Marco

designgestalt

I can confirm that it works to open the alembic files in KS7, but in 8 out of 10 cases KS crashes, when I try to save a .bip file !
so no real progress here ...

cheers
designgestalt

ROS

Hey Marco,

i tried to import an alembic file and recieved error code7.
Then i reinstalled KeyShot with only for me and it works.

Thanks a lot ;)

brahmzxc

Hey, i was just curious that if we export an .obj file from keyshot and then can we simulate or rig it in blender ?
and if yes then can we export .almbec file from blender and then import the animation in keyshot?

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: brahmzxc on May 14, 2019, 12:45:18 PM
Hey, i was just curious that if we export an .obj file from keyshot and then can we simulate or rig it in blender ?
and if yes then can we export .almbec file from blender and then import the animation in keyshot?

You can do that for sure - this is our main workflow for KS. Just be aware that Blender OBJ importer is not multithreaded. High poly objects will take a while to import with one core. During import it looks like Blender freezes, but it is still working, just be patient.

Example: To animate a car or a truck we use basic shapes to rig and animate in Blender (attached image). Then we import them through Alembic into KS and group the high poly objects to the imported shapes. 

Eugen Fetsch

P.S.: This workflow is also very handy for advanced camera animations. Camera twist is not available in KS - do it in Blender and import it to KS.