Adding to queue = 128gb+ in document folder

Started by mattjgerard, March 01, 2019, 06:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

So, yeah, my keyshot file is about 4.3gb. 32 model sets of different products. 32 studios (one for each model set) each with different cameras assigned, and about 10 various environments to pick from. Adding each studio to the queue is taking forever, about 2-3 min each studio. Turns out KS is saving the whole 4.3 gb file  plus a 25mb GEOM file for each studio. Just failed out by running out of drive space, and I can't imagine how long its going to take to transfer all that to the network render, and I'll have to check, but my NR node only has a 256gb ssd drive.

Am I missing something ? If KS has the ability to save out active model sets (which I do all the time) then why does it need to save out the entire 4.3gb project if only one model set is active?

Oh, and is there a way to change the render settings for a file after its been added to the queue but not sent? All the files that I just added reverted to an old setting of 600x600 for some reason, not the more recent 2500x2500. I know, my fault for checking, but that would be a nice thing to be able to do. Need to burn up another 45 mn of waiting for KS to copy a 4.3gb file 32 times......

RRIS

Ohh boy, that kind of a Friday is it?
Good luck man, I've also run into this issue.. thankfully I had some large files I could delete. Only thing I can think of is to partially build up your queue, send out the files, and continue with the rest..

mattjgerard

Quote from: RRIS on March 01, 2019, 07:08:20 AM
Ohh boy, that kind of a Friday is it?
Good luck man, I've also run into this issue.. thankfully I had some large files I could delete. Only thing I can think of is to partially build up your queue, send out the files, and continue with the rest..
yeah, that's what I'm doing, sending 5 at a crack. Sucks, but only way to get it done. Thought I was being smart by keeping all these product together, sharing matierals, environments, etc. Was fantastic to get all set up, but dang. Huge bit of efficiency is available right here. I have no idea how this works on the coding side, but if they can get this figured out it would be huge.

mattjgerard

And getting IT to put in a bigger drive in the render machine is going to take a miracle. I'd have better luck breaking into the server room and putting one in myself. I have remote admin privileges. Is there a way to get the NR to use a second drive as storage? Even on my own machine I've got a 2tb spinning disk that it can use to dump files to for queing to the render server?

mattjgerard

And to follow up I started saving out each studio by using the "Save active model set" option

1) Only works if you have the model set SELECTED and highlighted. Just being turned on doesn't work. It will kick out a bip file with no geometry but the scene tree structure is in tact. Just no objects
2) The new bip file is the same size as the original source bip file, so my new project with just a single model set and object in it is still 4.3gb.  The original stp file was under 1meg.
3) If I open that new project with the single object in it and change something,  hit save, and the filesize will drop to a reasonable 80mb. Not sure if the save action is actually removing data to shrink the file size, or if there is just some internal hiccup that isn't reporting the correct size to the filesystem. On windows, not sure if this shows in Mac as well.