Main Menu

Fluid sim Toner

Started by Aneurismone, March 13, 2019, 03:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aneurismone

Hi all, after a lot of hassle i finally managed to import Alembics from blender, so here`s my first go at a fluid sim rendered in keyshot.
The liquid is supposed to be a tacky water based gel.
open to all kinds of feedback, when i get to fix a couple of kinks i have left ill move to an animation of it!
A.

Will Gibbons

Really looking forward to seeing someone do a blender fluid sim to KS via Alembic. Since the introduction of nested dielectrics, I've wanted to see how it works. This still is looking very promising!

Aneurismone

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 13, 2019, 01:41:21 PM
Really looking forward to seeing someone do a blender fluid sim to KS via Alembic. Since the introduction of nested dielectrics, I've wanted to see how it works. This still is looking very promising!
Managed to animate it, changed the material from cloudy plastic with bubbles to the standard ks blue liquid to see how the nested dielectrics would work. im getting an insane amount of tessellation which i wasnt getting with the fbx for the 1st shot, ill go at the export settings once more.
Managed to get good caustics at least ::)

Will Gibbons

The normals issue is odd. It's like they're not being smoothed on each frame. Hmm.

JimmyToTheBe

This is cool, I haven't tried out fluids in Blender yet. I shall give this a go myself. Your first image is definitely spot on with material though.

DMerz III

Quote from: Will Gibbons on March 13, 2019, 01:41:21 PM

I feel challenged...are you challenging me, Will Gibbons?  ;D

Also Aneurismone, this is tight, I really like how you got this to look, looking kinda tasty, though I'm sure it's not supposed to be edible.

LM6

There is defiantly something going on with the normals in that clip, until you can sort that out its hard to tell whats going on with the fluid sim but I would not used bubbles on deformed animations (they will jump all over the place) its best to animate them first.

Here is a test I made a while back using C4D

DMerz III

Quote from: LM6 on March 16, 2019, 03:10:26 AM
There is defiantly something going on with the normals in that clip, until you can sort that out its hard to tell whats going on with the fluid sim but I would not used bubbles on deformed animations (they will jump all over the place) its best to animate them first.

Here is a test I made a while back using C4D

I look longingly at that clip all of the time, Peter. LOL
Ok, so I've been trying for the past 16 hours to get Allembic from Blender 2.79/2.8 to Keyshot 8.2 and I can't seem to get it to import properly (at all actually). Going to keep trying.
I thought I had done this once before, but it might have been a scripted sequence back before deformable meshes were allowed.

designgestalt

hey DMerz III,
there seems to be a problem with the Alembic import from Blender in KS 8.
If you still have KS7 installed, try it there, this normally works ...
cheers
designgestalt

DMerz III

Quote from: designgestalt on March 18, 2019, 10:06:15 AM
hey DMerz III,
there seems to be a problem with the Alembic import from Blender in KS 8.
If you still have KS7 installed, try it there, this normally works ...
cheers
designgestalt

Oh... that's interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Eric Summers

Those renders do look pretty nice!

I've been able to import fluids alembic files from blender into KS 8.2, albeit with a bunch of "Fixed critical errors in geometry for object ..." entries in the log window.

DMerz III

Quote from: Eric Summers on March 18, 2019, 02:12:48 PM
Those renders do look pretty nice!

I've been able to import fluids alembic files from blender into KS 8.2, albeit with a bunch of "Fixed critical errors in geometry for object ..." entries in the log window.

I get the error that there was no polygonal geometry in the file or the file type was unsupported. Error code 7 I believe. I think something is just wrong on my end in some way. I'll have to keep probing.

I saw someone on LinkedIn, ironically got the alembic fluid sim from Blender to import to KS, but he didn't specify if it was 7 or 8. It was also the regular fluid sim from Blender, not Flip Fluids, which also might be part of the problem that I'm having.

designgestalt

You are not the only one with the error report.
We have narrowed it down in the meantime and know, that this does not occure when KS 8.2 is installed for a single user !
With KS7 you do not have this problem, so it is quite obviously a KS problem.
the guys are informed and we hope for a fix in the next update...

DMerz III

Quote from: designgestalt on March 19, 2019, 06:09:46 AM
You are not the only one with the error report.
We have narrowed it down in the meantime and know, that this does not occure when KS 8.2 is installed for a single user !
With KS7 you do not have this problem, so it is quite obviously a KS problem.
the guys are informed and we hope for a fix in the next update...

Ahh, thanks for the clarity, designgestalt.