Opening up ksp files fills up Scenes folder

Started by mattjgerard, March 15, 2019, 09:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Is there any way to prevent KS from placing the bip file that is extracted when opening up a KSP file in the scenes folder? Say I have a web printing press I need to place some sensors, tower lights and other stuff on it. I will build the scene, then go and retrieve my products that have already been created and textured, and put copies of the already packaged ksp files in my project folder. From here I have 2 questions

1) Is there any way to import a ksp file directly into another scene without having to open it first? When I drag a ksp file into a project, it closes the current project and opens that ksp. Not really what I want, I just want it to import that project into my current project. Which brings me to....

2) Is there a way to have KS save the bip from the ksp file that I just opened into the same directory as the ksp file? Right now it is being saved to the Scenes folder in the KS8 folder in My Documents. I have to regularly go in and clear that out, as a lot of my projects are quite large, it quickly chews up my drive space. I will usually open the ksp, then Save as... To my current directory where I want it, but even then it still puts a copy in the Scenes library folder.

Cheers!

Esben Oxholm

Hi Matt.
For question 2: If you hit the 'browse'-button when opening a KSP-file, don't you get the option to chose where to extract the resources including the bip file? I do that all the time.

Also, if you rename the KSP file from e.g. 'scene.ksp' to 'scene.rar' and you have a file compression software that can handle rar files, you can now extract the resources and bip-file from the KSP without the need to open KeyShot. Not sure if it's helpful here at all, but a little hack nevertheless.

DMerz III

100% of the time use the "Browse" option. I create a specific project folder on my workstation desktop and it unpackages everything into there, not mixing it up anywhere else.

I do think this would be a great opportunity to have a 'remember my previous' setting option though, as I never throw things into my local Keyshot 8 documents folder for the fear of what Matt describes.

If I want to unpackage a file, I wish it would just go straight to the "Browser" to select the folder for unpacking.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on March 15, 2019, 01:24:17 PM
Also, if you rename the KSP file from e.g. 'scene.ksp' to 'scene.rar' and you have a file compression software that can handle rar files, you can now extract the resources and bip-file from the KSP without the need to open KeyShot. Not sure if it's helpful here at all, but a little hack nevertheless.

Matt - If I remember correctly, you're on a Mac so 'Unarchiver' would be a good application to use here:

https://macpaw.com/the-unarchiver

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on March 15, 2019, 07:57:17 PM

Matt - If I remember correctly, you're on a Mac so 'Unarchiver' would be a good application to use here:

https://macpaw.com/the-unarchiver

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Yup, that's what I use on the mac.

DMerz III

Whoa, I don't know how I glossed over that little trick, that's good to know!

mattjgerard

Well, I can certainly start using the browse method, and I have worked on macs for the majority of my career but I am now on winders at this job. The unpacking trick works with .zip file extensions as well, and I have done that but the texture relinking is usually messed up when I do that. So, I can certainly try the browse method everyone suggested.

Now that we have our super cool and fast NR node up and running I would love to be back on OSX for my workstation, but as I would guess is more common than not, IT here has it in for Apple, and understandably so in some ways.  Anyway, thanks for the tips lads, I'll give them a shot.

TGS808

Well, that's gonna save me some time. Great tip! Esben to the rescue, once again!