isolate/unisolate rather than show only?

Started by andy.engelkemier, March 15, 2019, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Is there a way to Temporarily isolate some parts, then go back to the visibility state you were in prior to isolation?

Show only seems to only really give me the option to show all again.

Eric Summers

I don't believe there is. Sure would be nice to have functionality similar to SolidWorks.

mattjgerard

No.

Now that I've said that, I've gotten used to using model sets and even studios to accomplish this. Takes some planning, and its not really a great way to do it, but within certain limitations it works well.

DMerz III

Maybe not the same case, but you can hide and lock parts that you never want to turn on visibility for in a model.
Though, if you did want to unhide them at a later time, you'd first need to unlock them. It's an option

andy.engelkemier

My file has 21 children under then main parent, each with several children deep.
It takes 20 minutes to go back through and unlock everything that I need. I know this, because I had to do it once.

DMerz III

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on March 16, 2019, 05:54:47 AM
My file has 21 children under then main parent, each with several children deep.
It takes 20 minutes to go back through and unlock everything that I need. I know this, because I had to do it once.

Yeah, that's a pain. A feature I like in Blender is the 'isolate' '/' key. Not sure if it works on multiple parts, but you can quickly isolate your selection, and unisolate and it will revert back to exactly what you had before in terms of visibility. Seems like your idea is pretty similar?

andy.engelkemier

It does work on multiple parts. It's the same in 3dsMax also. Not quite the same in Rhino though. You can isolate, but then there's no un-isolate as far as I know.

mattjgerard

Alt clicking on parts will isolate,  then Right click and select Show all Parts is the closest we can get at the moment. I like your idea though, that would be handy. In the audio world we call that a "Solo" button.