Main Menu

clown mask issue

Started by andy.engelkemier, March 16, 2019, 05:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I cropped WAY in here on the detail that's a mistake, but it still shows it pretty clearly.

It Looks like way more of a mistake than it really is though, since clown mask doesn't see transparency. But we should see 3 colors. The black, the glass, and the espresso stream.

I don't understand why two completely different materials got the same color.

I would LOVE an additional clown mask with objectID instead, so every single object is on it's own. That doesn't produce as nice selections due to antialiasing between objects for sure, but can save quite a bit of time with only a small render time hit.

mattjgerard

Clown masks do not work with transparency. They are pretty basic, flat color for every material that is first-view to the camera. In your case turn off the glass and kick out a very low sample render just to get the additional clown pass. Its a workaround, but it does work and gets the job done for now.

bdesign

QuoteIn your case turn off the glass and kick out a very low sample render just to get the additional clown pass

This will unfortunately not take into account the overall refracted shape of the liquid inside (going visibly all the way to the edge of the glass). Here's an idea for creating a custom pass that might be useful in some cases:

1. Create a new model set containing the glass/liquid/straw objects.
2. Change the material type for the liquid and straw to Flat.
3. Change the material type for the glass to Plastic (Transparent). Diffuse = black, Specular = black, Specular Transmission = white.
4. Set the Ray Bounces to 1 or 2. Turn off GI and Self Shadows.

It will take a bit of effort in PS to make the glass/liquid selection (since it is not 100% the same color) by selecting the background and other areas, then inverting the selection. It obviously isn't perfect, but... Example images below are: 1) Beauty shot. 2) Custom pass with Ray Bounces = 1. 3) Custom pass with Ray Bounces = 2. 4) Layer Mask in PS created with the Ray Bounces = 2 pass.

Cheers,
Eric

andy.engelkemier

You folks are focusing on the wrong mistake.

Look at the image again. Without transparency, there are 3 materials. Glass, the black background object, and the thing going Into the glass.

bdesign

QuoteYou folks are focusing on the wrong mistake.

Look at the image again. Without transparency, there are 3 materials. Glass, the black background object, and the thing going Into the glass.

Yeah ok. If I put a cylinder behind the glass, positioned similar to your black object, and render with a clown pass, it produces the same 3 completely different colors each time, for glass, straw, and cylinder, regardless of material type or color.

mattjgerard

Got me, then. I've had to crank my selection wand tolerance down quite a bit in PS in the past to get selections right, but I've never had them exactly the same.

Bruno F

Hello Andy,

Thank you for reporting this issue. In order to reproduce this issue on our end, I'll need to gather additional information.

1. Please provide us with your scene as a KSP. To save a KSP, go to File > Save Package within KeyShot's main menu.

2. Please provide us with step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the issue you are seeing. For example:

• Open scene in KeyShot
  • Open the Render dialog
  • Go to the Output tab
  • Make sure your output Format is a png with an alpha channel
  • Go to the Option tab
  • Set Mode to Background
  • Etc...

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on March 16, 2019, 05:50:16 AM
I cropped WAY in here on the detail that's a mistake, but it still shows it pretty clearly.

It Looks like way more of a mistake than it really is though, since clown mask doesn't see transparency. But we should see 3 colors. The black, the glass, and the espresso stream.

I don't understand why two completely different materials got the same color.

I would LOVE an additional clown mask with objectID instead, so every single object is on it's own. That doesn't produce as nice selections due to antialiasing between objects for sure, but can save quite a bit of time with only a small render time hit.

Bruno F

Since there have been no replies or updates to this post for more than two weeks, it's been locked.
You may open a new post for additional assistance.

Post closed by Luxion Support Team