Experimenting with materials and textures

Started by DaStig, March 16, 2019, 11:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaStig

Trying some more indepth material settings ... I like how the hammerite paint turned out ...

FYI, steam engine model is from Grabcad

Josip_ZG

Nice job with the red paint. Maybe you can try to scale down the texture a little bit, see how it turns out.
The thing with this is that if you want it to look like a finished job, you need to apply some of the imperfections to other surfaces as well. Right now the part on which everthing stands is extremely clean and polished. Then, that wheel on which you have the rust is also too clean, especially the silver parts and it makes it look like an improbable situation on a worn and rusted industrial part.
Also, I would like to encourage you to use Keyshot procedural textures to create rust. If you cannot find a larger rust texture, because this one repeats itself and therefore looks improbable compared to real-life situations.

I made a quick material adjustment to try procedural textures for rust because I never used them before.
Let me know if you need explanations on how it works. I uploaded material on KS cloud.
Can't send you the scene right away because the model in it is not for sharing.

Edit: forgot to say this... use imperfections like dirt and smudges (label type imperfections), surface damage like varying roughness, varying bump size overally and scratches in bump.

DaStig

Hey Josip,

Thnx for your feedback.

I'm currently experimenting with multiple combined materials, using that material graph feature. Until now, my rendering were made using only a material, combined with a texture and/or bumpmap. This results in a "too perfect" rendered model.

As for your remarks, true, some of the parts are currently too clean or perfect. I'm figuring out these procedural textures to create the required effects and looks on some parts.

Thnx for sharing that material graph of that rusted surface ... very useful to learn from.

I'll be posting some updates of this project soon ... so, keep posted ...

Greetings

Josip_ZG

You can also easily grab some of the free (or paid) textures on poliigon.com when you don't have the time to deal with procedurals.
Good luck with learning, I've been through this stage not so long ago.