network render saved over Every render

Started by andy.engelkemier, March 19, 2019, 05:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Luckily, I don't work out of the same folder.
Last night it saved 121 files. It saved OVER the changed originals. I make it a habit of saving the PSD file again so it goes from 385MB down to something more reasonable, like 70-150MB for the same file.

I have No idea what caused this. But it quite annoying because now all of the date modified says 3/18/2019 and around 10:50pm

any idea what would cause that, and how to avoid?

Bruno F

Hello Andy,

Thank you for reporting this issue. To better assist you, I'll need to gather additional information.

1. Exact KeyShot version (e.g. 8.1.60)/

2. Please provide us with step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the issue you are seeing. For example:
Open scene in KeyShot
Open the Project dialog
Go to the Camera tab
Add a camera
Apply a camera animation
Play the animation[/i]
Pause the animation[/i]
Etc...

3. Please provide us with screenshots of the issue that you are seeing.

andy.engelkemier

I feel like you didn't quite read my post.

QuoteI have No idea what caused this.

That means, I don't know what caused it. So I can't really help with telling you what steps there are to take to repeat it.
Then my last line there was just asking if anyone knew what Might help cause that so that I might try and avoid that in the future, to avoid possible catastrophes.

So this is more of a "you tell me" kind of post. I know it happened, because all the files in one folder look to have saved in minutes of each other. But it happened overnight. So I didn't Do anything. I wasn't even here. I think I left around 9:30 or 10.

So I guess: Submit some renders
Go home

That's about my list of how to repeat?

Bruno F

Hello Andy,

Thanks for clarifying. That is quite strange. To better assist you, I'll need to gather additional information.

1. You mentioned 121 files were "saved over" the changed originals. How are the new files different from the original files? Are their names the same or different? Are the images the same or did they change? Was "date modified" the only thing that changed? If possible, please provide a screenshot to clarify.

2. Were all 121 files in the same directory/folder? What is the directory path? If possible, please provide a screenshot to clarify.

3. When you talk about the "date modified" changing are you looking: on you own computer or on the Master? How many jobs did you submit to the network before you went home that day?

How to avoid overriding files
Here are some things you can do to avoid overwriting your existing files:

1. Change the output file Name under Render > Output prior to rendering or adding a job to the queue. As long each file name is unique you should be in the clear.
2. If you're in KeyShot 7 and rendering animation, make sure to enable Frames Output under the render Output options.

andy.engelkemier

It's been a bit, so I'll do my best.
The files no longer exist. We've cleaned up a bit, and they are Giant.

I'll try and clear things up though.

Over a series of 2-3 days, we had sent 121 renders to the network. They were still sitting in the "completed" tab of the network render.
On an overnight render, I'd say we sent 5-10 renders, so not a lot. Those Did finish. But I went to find them on our network folder and the previous renders had been overwritten. It wasn't a Huge deal because our final outputs were all in a completely different folder, and using different names. But upon inspection, some of the files I had done some Very basic edits to were saved over. That's why it was quite concerning.

1: I had saved the files, Mostly because we rendered 7k square, to psd format, with clown mask. The files from keyshot are completely uncompressed, so every file is 385MB, even if you render a 10px region. So I open up the file, make photoshop think I changed something so it lets me save (usually just turn a layer on and off), and now my region render is down to 3MB, or my full size renders are more like 70MB. For a few files, I had named the render layer prior to duplicating the layer into my master document. Opening those back up again after the issue happened, and the file was back to as it was rendered. So the changes I made were indeed overwritten.

2:Yes, all files were in the same folder. I'll give you the path Format, including spaces and special characters, but will change some text for confidentiality reasons:
M:\Product Development\BN-246 Otmpnsu_Ermip efcenn renders\03 Keyshot\Renders

3:When I was talking date modified, I was looking at the files saved to the network. So the files were essentially, all new. The files were definitely saved over.
I didn't think to check the log. That's the only place I'm seeing dates on the master. We have since cleared everything, because we didn't want that happening again.

So renders that had already completed and saved, were then saved again, in the same location and name by the network render software.  I double checked, and the files we save have our user name associated. The files the master machine saves has the master machine's user name associated. Since I saved over the files on my computer, they should all say my username. But they all showed the other username from the network render master.

Bruno F

Thanks for providing me with that information. Is your job archive on the Master under Public Documents\KeyShot 8 Network Resources or in a custom location? Please provide the directory path.

I am wondering if the job archive on your master is set to the same path that you provided earlier M:\Product Development\BN-246 Otmpnsu_Ermip efcenn renders\03 Keyshot\Renders. This path is set in the KeyShot Network Configurator application under Resource Location. If the master service is restarted, then it is possible that the completed jobs would "re-save" on the master. But, I have never seen a client's destination folder contents be overwritten.  Is your "M:" drive a shared drive on your office network?

Bruno F

This topic has been locked due to inactivity. For help with a similar issue, please create a new thread.

Thank You,
Luxion Support Team