Main Menu

Beer, yum

Started by Paul Lang, April 09, 2019, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lang

Here is a recent client project which gave me the oportunity to see if I could create a lot of the elements right in Keyshot 8

Here's a bit of a break down.

Modelling: Beer Glass, Liquid, head foam and headband were all modelled in blender. Extra parts were exported for some of the below.

Droplets: Droplets are actually all in Keyshot, I used flakes circles for the geometry and used the cutaway feature so that they don't appear inside the glass, of course excluding all other geometry elements for that cutaway. Bubbles were rendered out to a layer so I could run a little photoshop liquify to distort the droplets to a more natural shape, move and erase any I didn't want.

Fine condensation was just a condensation texture plugged into the roughness node on the glass with a slight bump.

Liquid: Also Flakes, spears with a density map so that the only appear in the upper centre.

Beer Foam: Scattering medium Foam, replaced the density texture using a spots/circles node and messed a round with the translucent settings. Bubbles on the foam is flakes, spears with thin film as the material on a duplicate of the foam geometry, scaled up so that the bubbles sit bit outside the surface. A second duplicate of the foam geometry had just a straight beer foam texture applied using translucent as the base material. It was rendered out as a separate pass and blended with the first in PS.

Headband: The texture and geometry displacement is also created using scattering medium foam. Terrycloth texture used for density map and displacement, was quite surprised how this worked.

Beer Can: Droplets and condensation created the same way.

All we need now is a proper/scattering tool or particles system in Keyshot and we'll be able to create droplets, fir, grass etc or any shape for that matter.

boy does scattering medium take forever to render :( I think I'll go have a real beer now, enjoy!

Paul

RRIS

Excellent job, love that chase for perfection in the materials with relatively simple geometry.

DMerz III

Öner

are you really serious?

Paul Lang

Josh3D

This looks incredible Paul! And thank you for breaking down what you used for all the elements - just amazing work!!

Ryan Day

Fantastic stuff!

Any chance you go a bit more in depth on the droplets and the foam head? I have a process for droplets but yours sounds like it might be even easier. For the head, I've achieved something sort of passable, but not at the level of yours and I'd love to see how you've structured it. Can't quite follow your brief description :)

Paul Lang

sure I'll put something together

Öner

You are famous now, your work is published on keyshot's linkedin page.  really good fantastic job, i never do render like this.

Ryan Day

Paul Lang

As requested I put a more cohesive break down together. Note from my original post regarding using the cutaway feature although works, was a bit hard to explain as there were several issues with that process, Keyshot has trouble with honouring opacity maps in the sense the geometry they are applied to still effect refraction to underlying geometry. Cutaway does this too, even though it is invisible the geometry it is applied too still refracts light causing issues with other geometry intersecting with it so there was a lot of fussing around to get it to work. With that said I have come up with another solution which works quite well without all the fussing.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Day

This is great, thanks Paul! Hopefully I'll have some time to play with this all soon.

Any reason you used this method for the surface droplets instead of a simple displace on a liquid surface like the example file?

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown, Paul.
Very interesting process.

Paul Lang

thanks guys,

To your comment Ryan, Why?

1. For starters control over how many, size variation, the ability to render to layer. The ability to save/bake them as a solid object/re-import and break them apart using the geometry editor so that you can move them independently so that they don't cover important areas like parts of logos/text that you need to read.

2. Quality and physics. In my experience I have found that physical droplets produce the most realistic results from the shape to how they refract light and shadow onto their surface. realism is in the subtle details. For closeup hires print applications like this I just prefer to do it as physically correct to the real world as possible.

3. To be honest it was more of en experiment to see if this method was achievable within Keyshot. My normal process for droplets is through blender using a particles emitter to apply a set of various droplet shapes I have custom made for different applications.

p.s. what example file were you talking about for displacements?
cheers,

Paul

To be honest this was more of an experiment to see if it was possible in Keyshot. I Really

Ryan Day

Quote from: Paul Lang on April 13, 2019, 12:55:32 PM
thanks guys,

To your comment Ryan, Why?

1. For starters control over how many, size variation, the ability to render to layer. The ability to save/bake them as a solid object/re-import and break them apart using the geometry editor so that you can move them independently so that they don't cover important areas like parts of logos/text that you need to read.

2. Quality and physics. In my experience I have found that physical droplets produce the most realistic results from the shape to how they refract light and shadow onto their surface. realism is in the subtle details. For closeup hires print applications like this I just prefer to do it as physically correct to the real world as possible.

3. To be honest it was more of en experiment to see if this method was achievable within Keyshot. My normal process for droplets is through blender using a particles emitter to apply a set of various droplet shapes I have custom made for different applications.

p.s. what example file were you talking about for displacements?
cheers,

Paul

To be honest this was more of an experiment to see if it was possible in Keyshot. I Really

Interesting!

There's a glass with droplets example file included with Keyshot. The droplets are created using a height map and the geometry displace node, so they are also physically accurate in theory. I've made my own custom height map to have more control myself, but I do quite like your approach since you can move droplets in Keyshot directly, whereas I have to find the corresponding droplet on my image map and move it in Photoshop and try it again. The downside to your current method is the need to manually distort the render in Photoshop afterwards.

I'd love to dig into your method on my own and see if I can get the same results. Looks great!

Thanks again for the run-through. :)