Masters in Architecture Thesis

Started by darrenjack, April 11, 2019, 12:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenjack

Hi, this is my first post, and I just want to say thank you to Keyshot for speeding up my renders, and quite literally saving me at the end of the year last year. I had built my entire architecture thesis with Rhino and Zbrush and now with very few days before hand in I had to pull those drawings out of the computer to show the work that I had done. and WOW did Keyshot make it really easy to quickly render all that work I put in.

I finished my masters at the University of Cape Town but my thesis was based at an abandoned whaling station in Durban, South Africa. The idea of the project was to create spaces that evoke emotion and bring to consciousness the incredibly cruel acts that occurred at the whaling station, but thinking larger human's effects on the natural world..be it extraction of oil, global warming, capitalism etc etc.. everything we do has an effect on the world but it is up to us to understand its effects both now and for the future.

There is still so much I want to do with these images, and I know there is a lot to do from a rendering point of view - like I said though I was so pressed for time at the end of last year this is one of the drawings I managed to pull out of Keyshot  :P (you can even see the photoshop grid behind the person which I didn't notice until the day of my presentation :P )

The forms are generated through concrete and beach sand, where sand is the form work and the concrete is cast over. It is cast over the existing station engulfing its structure. You can see some of the existing concrete beams, and columns within my intervention. Overtime the tides of the ocean wash out the sand to reveal these whale-like forms which can then be inhabited as a memorial/museum. There is a heck of a lot more to the ideas of this project but its just a jist of it! Cheers and thanks for letting me share.

Josh3D

Hey Darren! Welcome! Thanks for sharing your work - really interesting and love the thought behind it. The structure is excellent and great use of light. Look forward to seeing more!

RRIS

Hi Darren, oh boy.. that takes me back, the stress of waiting for renders with the thesis deadline quickly approaching and there's still so much to do!
In a way it's a pity that this situation happens a lot, because those renders are often the real eye catchers when people scroll through the thesis report. So often though, they aren't representative of all the hard work that has been done.
Did you make any more renders in a more neutral style to explain more about the whole structure and its setting?