Main Menu

Running Wishlist

Started by Paul Lang, April 18, 2019, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Lang

Here is my running wish-list carried over from vs7

1. Real and exact scale properties. Keysot is the only graphic program 2d or 3d that you cannot enter exact size coordinates for an object. i.e. X 2.5" Y 3" Z 4.5"
2. Advanced setting for Interior mode. De-noise, Anti Aliasing, pixel blur or better soften sharp edges
3. Snap to any object. Would be great to have the ability to select an object click a snap to option then select the object to snap to.
4. Plugin for Blender would be nice.
4. And my biggest wish is a completely updated pattern tool to act more like a particles emitter. The ability to scatter objects on another i.e. grass/trees on terrain. Adding fur/hair to objects and many, many more. A paint brush mode for that would be awesome, TheaRender has this but I think Keyshot could do it better.

Eugen Fetsch

Hi Paul,

+1 for exact scale properties. It would be great to see the XYZ scale in units and not as factor. This feature was already requested in several threads.
+1 for the Blender plugin, that would save a lot of conversion time. Blender export to FBX and Alembic is not multithreaded ATM :(
+1 for the last point, if you mean the instance feature. KS could use bounding boxes to represent the instances of the duplicated geometry. It would save tons of memory and speed up render time for large scale scenes.

Cheers,
Eugen

INNEO_MWo

+1 to the wish of the size thing. Or it would be nice if the scale values of the translation matrix would keep the values. (Otherwise I prefer a modeling tool that provides snapping, real sizes, fillets and all the regular stuff)

What would be the benefit of a blender plugin instead of loading an alembic cache file?

Maybe the pattern feature could reference like the (texture) mapping type 'node' to a procedural texture?

DMerz III

:)

+1 on the Blender Plugin as well, I bet there are open-source license issues with this currently holding the dev team back as I know has been the case with Corona Renderer.
+1 on the scale - I feel like a plugin to Blender would solve this for me though, as I just make sure things are to proper scale upon export. But I get the need.
+1 on the scatter feature - although... mostly just wish Blender would update their particle system as it will ultimately be where I want to do this type of modeling.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: MWo on April 21, 2019, 11:48:24 PM
What would be the benefit of a blender plugin instead of loading an alembic cache file?
Hi Marco,
Export to Alembic or FBX is not multithreaded in Blender. Big scenes can take hours on a single core to be exported. Then you still need to import the file to KS. A Blender plug-in would be just a huge time saver.

The next thing is that every conversion can have errors/bugs. For example: Blender FBX export is buggy (now) - it doesn't export animation for all objects, just for one in the scene. So Alembic is the only choice for now - but it is buggy in KS (multi user setup). It just a pain to find out what causes the issue.

Beside of that - Blender has over 6.000.000 downloads per year – this is a huge user base the plug-in would address to.

Quote from: DMerz III on April 22, 2019, 12:27:02 PM
+1 on the Blender Plugin as well, I bet there are open-source license issues with this currently holding the dev team back as I know has been the case with Corona Renderer.
I don't think that there would be any license issues for a Blender plug-in. Corona and VRay have this issue because they need to integrate the render inside the Blender software. With the GNU GPL license the engine code would need to be open sourced. This is what holds them back.

".blend" files are not covered by the GNU GPL. Like ".doc" or ".bip" files are not the property of Microsoft or Luxion. The plug-in would just read the geometry and animation data from those files. 
It is doable for sure. You can run blender from the terminal and use all the features through the Python API (like bake animations, modifiers, etc.).

The most easiest way would be...
- run Blender from shell
- run the script to convert the file to alembic
- save it in a temp folder
- import it to KS
HAHA ... would you know that it was done this way? Mybe on big files, because they would run very long.  ;D

Cheers
Eugen

INNEO_MWo

Thank you Eugen for making my day! (and I didn't mean this ironic)

Paul Lang

Scale: Having to import a model into another program just to make sure it is proper scale is still un-necessary. There are also many situations where real life scale is not the issue, rather you just want to give something an exact measurement and having to leave keyshot to do that is a bit convoluted.

Particles/instancing. I too use Blender for this stuff and find the particles system in Blender quite good. Others may use MAX, Maya etc. However you still have to convert particles to a mesh and export to bring into Keyshot, performance is a huge issue.. Even with a plugin Keyshot would still only sees the imported as one huge object and not instances of an object. Have you tried importing something like a patch of grass into Keyshot? Painful.

Over the weekend had another wish-list Item, Exterior render mode optimized for outdoor scenes.

Paul

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: MWo on April 22, 2019, 11:58:28 PM
Thank you Eugen for making my day! (and I didn't mean this ironic)
;D haha ... glad to read that Marco

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: Paul Lang on April 23, 2019, 09:55:41 AM
Over the weekend had another wish-list Item, Exterior render mode optimized for outdoor scenes.

Can you explain more about it? What do you expect from it?