Just ordered my new machine

Started by jet1990, April 26, 2019, 03:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jet1990

Hi All,

Just placed an order for my new machine that will be used primarily for solidworks modelling and keyshot rendering. I'm very eager to see what figures it pulls on the benchmark. Specs are:

PNY Quadro P2000 5GB GPU
500gb Samsung Evo Plus M.2-2280 SSD
Asus Prime X399-A AMD Socket TR4 Motherboard
AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core
Kraken liquid all in one cpu cooler
Corsair vengeance LPX 64gb 3200MHz DDR4
Dual samsung 4k monitors

Im coming from using a single cpu 8 core i7 so this should make a huge difference in performance.

what do you think of this system?

Eugen Fetsch

I have almost the same config - the threadripper is a beast. But what if KS v9 will have GPU acceleration :o 

jet1990

How are you finding your overall set up?

If it has GPU acceleration that i can only predict faster render times for me  ;D

Eugen Fetsch

The setup is good. Most important is the cost-benefit ratio and it's awesome. :)

64x 4GHz Threads + 64GB RAM vs. P2000 5GB ... it is hard to tell who will win the battle. 

I did some tests in Blender 2.79 and the 2990WX beats the 1080Ti on rendering by far. Even with two 1080Ti enabled I couldn't beat the "ripper" :)

But it's highly dependent on the render engine and how optimized the algorithms are. In Blender 2.80 the same scene takes 58 sec on CPU and 46 sec on 2x1080Ti.

But even if a GPU is a bit faster. What does it mean in the long run?

Power consumption:
2x 1080Ti = 500W + an air conditioner
1x 2990WX = 250W + a slightly open window ;D

richardfunnell

I got my threadripper yesterday, it's been pretty nice so far! will have to try some taxing scenes on it soon.

jet1990

Just got my system today. Booted keyshot's benchmark scene up and im getting an FPS of around 75. I'm stumped as i have no idea why this is.

any ideas? this is with 100% CPU (64 cores)

im also noticing the system to be running a bit slow and laggy which is frustrating as a new machine at these specs shouldnt be doing that.

thanks

Eugen Fetsch

Call the dealer if possible.
One colleague got a new machine with defect CPU fan and had almost the same issue.

jet1990

thats what im suspecting. The current clock is 0.54 GHz with a CPU temp of 80 degrees C. I'm taking it back in to have it looked at.

jet1990

Took the PC back. They opened it up and realised they left some packing foam inside; this must have started to hotbox the case and cause overheating. Got it back and everything is fine. FPS is registering at around the 510 mark!

Eugen Fetsch

:D funny.
Similar for my 2990WX ... 510 - 515 fps.  So, happy rendering ;)

SK1107

Quote from: camomiles on April 26, 2019, 03:37:49 AM
I have almost the same config - the threadripper is a beast. But what if KS v9 will have GPU acceleration :o

It won't have GPU acceleration.

I've asked about GPU acceleration sometime ago.  Keyshot replied that it would take a lot of resources to keep rendering software stable in situation when Nvidia issues updates for GPU drivers all the time.  So they prefer to stick to CPUs.

DMerz III

@SK1107 - I think that thought has changed, this 'GPU' centric event back in Feburary had Henrik as a speaker, where he specifically talks about RTX speeding up rendering. Why would he be there talking about RTX GPU things if Luxion wasn't going to implement this technology?

Here's a snippet from the page;

KeyShot is widely used in industrial design to visualize products for design evaluations, marketing images, technical illustrations, and more. We'll discuss our experience integrating RTX support into KeyShot. We'll explain why we decided to use RTX and outline the technical design decisions we made to provide the best experience for our users.

Here's the link to the event listing on Keyshot.com.

https://www.keyshot.com/event/gpu-technology-conference-2019/

SK1107

Quote from: DMerz III on June 02, 2019, 05:46:12 PM
@SK1107 - I think that thought has changed, this 'GPU' centric event back in Feburary...

Thanks David!
I missed that article.  It would be awesome if Keyshot will be able to use GPU!

Thanks

DriesV

Yes, KeyShot 9 will have GPU rendering. It will be supported on NVIDIA cards from the Maxwell generation (e.g. GeForce GTX 980) and newer.
It will run especially fast on the newest RTX cards, as the GPU rendering leverages the RT cores of those cards for raytracing.
It will not run on AMD graphics cards.

Dries

SK1107

Quote from: DriesV on June 03, 2019, 12:00:08 AM
Yes, KeyShot 9 will have GPU rendering. It will be supported on NVIDIA cards from the Maxwell generation (e.g. GeForce GTX 980) and newer.
It will run especially fast on the newest RTX cards, as the GPU rendering leverages the RT cores of those cards for raytracing.
It will not run on AMD graphics cards.

Dries

Hey Dries, 

1. Is there any benchmark for RTX or at least rough estimates of additional processing power RTX will add?
2. Will GPUs be available for Network Rendering or NR will keep working with CPUs only?

Thanks!