Rendering settings for printing big posters.

Started by bdochia, April 26, 2019, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdochia

I need to make a render for an object that will eventually be printed on a big poster (1 meter wide x 2 meters height).
I have tried to make the printing size 1000x2000 but it only allows me to export as a PNG. It also take too much time.
What should be print size and DPI to make sure that the poster will eventually look good.

thx   

Lei

I do a lot of rendering for tradeshow size which goes up to 6meters wide and 4.5meters high. What i usually do is render it on 15/16k, which is a pixel dimension of 15360x8640px . at 300dpi.

I will then create the poster size in Illustrator at your size at 1000x2000mm then drop that in there.

Zeltronic

An interesting solution that can save rendering time ,is  the software enlargement with for instance  a product like AI gigapixel that gives great results on large formats ;)

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: bdochia on April 26, 2019, 08:29:29 AM
I need to make a render for an object that will eventually be printed on a big poster (1 meter wide x 2 meters height).
I have tried to make the printing size 1000x2000 but it only allows me to export as a PNG. It also take too much time.
What should be print size and DPI to make sure that the poster will eventually look good.   

Usually posters in this scale are printed with 50dpi. So, a resolution of 4096 x 2048 should be fine.
And yes, rendering takes time, there is no way around it. AI Gigapixel is not that bad, but it changes your image with interpolation and sharpening. We've tried it in our photo studio and couldn't use the results for final prints. But try it out by yourself, maybe the quality is enough for your needs.