Main Menu

alfa mito

Started by mirko, September 22, 2011, 06:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirko

;)

PhilippeV8

Needs more perspective ... make the corner of the car that is closest to the viewer come more "in your face".

Also not so fond of the environement lighting and reflection on the cars doors on the left.  Kinda makes it look washed out and cartoony there compared to the cars back/top side.

furo

I suggest to rotate the wheel to the left, from this left-rear-side angle it'll look much better.. you should also increase the shadows to be darker (easiest way [if you don't want to change HDRi] is to render to TIFF including alpha.. when you open the file in photoshop, there'll be no background so you simply duplicate the layer (ctrl+j) and the shadows will be "twice" as dark).. the washed out look can be eliminated by different HDRi with less grey color, you can also try to change the height of the HDRi position (in the environment settings)

mirko

is it better??

furo

what do you think?
sure it's better, much better compared to previous image.. I'd choose more contrast HDRi anyway.. less white color, more black.. it seems there's still a lot of grey in your HDRi, missing some contrast suitable for the studio car renders.. but as I said, it's much better, you have to see it for yourself..
now, you should add sidewalls on the tires, also it seems there's missing the B-pillar, it's really thin - you definitely need to break the glass geometry and add the black part around the rear side window (well, that's the way I do it, but you can make the correct UV mapping and use the black texture on the glass material also.. the third option is to duplicate the glass geometry, move it inside a little bit [0.001 or so] and use the texture with black window border and alpha for the hole  .. it's your choice) - anyway, don't keep it without the black part as it's now, it's important detail on all car windows (most on the front because [if anything else] there's place for the rear mirror)
the last thing.. try to change the twist value in your camera options.. use very low value, 1-3 (with negative mark if necessary).. in this case from this angle you should use e.g. value 2 to lower the front of the car.. it will look more dramatic, the result will be even better.. just try it

mirko

Quote from: furo on September 26, 2011, 08:24:26 AM
what do you think?
sure it's better, much better compared to previous image.. I'd choose more contrast HDRi anyway.. less white color, more black.. it seems there's still a lot of grey in your HDRi, missing some contrast suitable for the studio car renders.. but as I said, it's much better, you have to see it for yourself..

ok thank you i will try...but i don't understand one thing: the HDRi i used fot this image was all black with only the lights that i created with HDR light studio and, compared with the one of the previous render, you can see the difference looking at the crhome part of the rear lights.....anyway, i'll try to change something
thank you for the tips!

feher

Second image is much better. But you need to keep going and push it.
You need to put weight on the wheels the easiest way is to just cut the wheels to make them have a flat bottom. Just a little bit you don't want flat tires...lol
Need to increase your gamma on the realtime side, also lighten up your background in HDRLightStudio. That should pump some light into the scene.
If you like package this Bip up and send it to me or send me your 3d file and I will cut the tires and set up a scene for you. I'll send a Keyshot package back too you so you can study it.
Let me know.
Tim

Imz

Second render is much better- I agree the car needs weight.

I've come across everyone mentioning increasing the realtime gamma (to 2.2). On my machine that seems to increase the brightness and decrease the contrast... sort of washes everything out to greys.

Anyone have a link to a good gamma discussion?

Seggy

My personal rule of thumb is no gamma on the HDRI. So the lights values are properly honoured... i.e. A light of 500W is twice the brightness of a light 250W. You play with the gamma and this gets screwed.

In terms of the gamma on the camera itself... this 2.2 figure is nonsense and it is totally subjective and dependant on the shot. If you can make it look nice - it's right. This is my opinion. For me 2.2 is totally washed out and I have only ever gone that high for interiors... but day to day I'm going from 1.4-1.8 to get results please to my eye.

But above all make sure you monitor is calibrated, because if what you see isnt the values in the image - when you share your image it will never look right.

Imz

^^good point about calibrating my monitor... I'm lazy about that  ;D

feher

Mirko my friend here is what I came up with. I hope you'll be able to see what I'm talking about pushing the image and bringing weight to the Car.
I created a HDR using the HDRLightStudio plug for Keyshot. (It's a life saver)
Created background from scratch in Photoshop and did some post work in there to.
KeyShot of course for the rendering.
The main forces is the vehicle not the background, no flares or glitter to draw your eye off the vehicle. Please keep that in mind when working. Ask yourself what is the main focus then create your image with that in mind. If your eye goes anywhere other then your main focus then you will have to change things. You did not do that with your images above. I just wanted to have you keep that in mind for the next time.
Comment concerns questions are always welcome.
Tim

EGON

How do you cut the tires up? I use Maya. Can't figure it out. Nice render BTW :)

PhilippeV8

Feher !!  OMG ... that is just perfect !!  Awesome.

It seems for all car renders and anything with more "freeform" surfaces HDRLS seems like a MUST !

mirko

one world......FANTASTIC

feher

Thanks guys. Glad I was able to help Mirko.
Mirko I want to see a new image after you look at the stuff I gave you. Keep up the great work. It's paying off.

EGON
I cut my tires in Right Hemisphere. I do all my organizing in there.  As far as Maya I know there is a latice feature where you can give the tire squoose. .
Sorry I can't help with more info then that. In short I put all my models through Right Hemisphere for final prep.
Tim

PS I didn't cut the tires on this image I didn't have the 3D data just a Bip.