total newbie on rendering and have a couple questions

Started by Joseph H, May 06, 2019, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph H

So I played around and was able to get a half way descent render close to photo realistic as i could being new. then I went to another file I was working on and when I try to add a material to say a tire or windshield it textures the entire vehicle. I am new to 3D but I am not sure where I went wrong I was using 3ds max 2017 and have the app that imports it into keyshot and for some reason everything has a plastic assigned to it.

I also cant seem to find any maps just a obj

so my question for those familiar with max is there something I didnt do somewhere to create some UV maps? I thought they created as I made the part.

and my other is if the above is right how come it is adding material to my entire object when i just select that 1 particular part.

Thanks sorry for such a noob basic question as I always just made stuff because i never understood anything about texturing and rendering  and couldnt find anyone to help as i did tutorials but you cant ask a tutorial questions when your lost

Joe

Joseph H

First Image is my first try at photo realistic the second image is the scene thats not wanting to cooperate with me

RRIS

Quote from: Joseph H on May 06, 2019, 05:00:47 PM
So I played around and was able to get a half way descent render close to photo realistic as i could being new. then I went to another file I was working on and when I try to add a material to say a tire or windshield it textures the entire vehicle. I am new to 3D but I am not sure where I went wrong I was using 3ds max 2017 and have the app that imports it into keyshot and for some reason everything has a plastic assigned to it.

Experiment a bit with the Keyshot import options to separate geometry that shares the same material. Alternatively, assign different materials from within 3ds max. The Keyshot manual will explain it properly, but there's a couple of different ways to solve this.
My 3ds max settings were so that every newly created bit of geometry would have a new color assigned to it. That will go some way to at least make import a little easier.

QuoteI also cant seem to find any maps just a obj

Not sure I understand.. obj is 3d geometry, nothing else. Your (texture)maps should be where you put them.

Quoteso my question for those familiar with max is there something I didnt do somewhere to create some UV maps? I thought they created as I made the part.

UV maps are still textures, you create textures or download them. UV coordinates are created during modeling, but more likely than not, you have to UV map and unwrap your geometry separately after/during creation.

Quoteand my other is if the above is right how come it is adding material to my entire object when i just select that 1 particular part.

Thanks sorry for such a noob basic question as I always just made stuff because i never understood anything about texturing and rendering  and couldnt find anyone to help as i did tutorials but you cant ask a tutorial questions when your lost

Joe

Refer to the first part of my reply. Study how Keyshot imports geometry and how it treats different colors/materials. Make a test scene in 3ds max, and experiment with parts that share the same material, or parts with multi-materials for that matter (keyshot can split geometry if there's different materials on it). It's quite powerful once you understand how it works.