Main Menu

Decibel Levels

Started by LM6, May 13, 2019, 07:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM6

For those running your PC in the same room as you work, how noisy is your Threadripper PC when running Keyshot?

DriesV

A colleague here at Luxion is running a 2990WX. The machine gets pretty noisy when the CPU is put through its paces.  :)
Noise levels (along with saving space) is one of the reasons I recently bought a Corsair ONE i160 for at home. Admittedly, the i9 9900K in it is significantly less powerful (but still very good), but the machine is near silent under load.

Dries

richardfunnell

This isn't super scientific, I just pointed my iPhone at my computer. Ambient room with computer on but not running KeyShot is about 43 decibels, and with my workstation on full CPU usage it goes up to about 46 decibels.

I really think your case and cooling are going to make the biggest difference here, not the specific CPU. I have a liquid cooled setup + fans on 4/6 surfaces so it's probably a bit louder than just an air cooled system.

LM6

Quote from: richardfunnell on May 13, 2019, 09:46:36 AM
This isn't super scientific, I just pointed my iPhone at my computer. Ambient room with computer on but not running KeyShot is about 43 decibels, and with my workstation on full CPU usage it goes up to about 46 decibels.

I really think your case and cooling are going to make the biggest difference here, not the specific CPU. I have a liquid cooled setup + fans on 4/6 surfaces so it's probably a bit louder than just an air cooled system.

Thats pretty much the same as mine, but iam not happy with the fan noise at 46 db so iam changing the cpu cooler.

I also have 4 x RTX 2080 ti GPU (Redshift) in the case that can get fairly noisy when rendering , I guess thats the price you have to pay for fast rendering, my old iMac was silent (sort of) but very slow.

LM6

Quote from: DriesV on May 13, 2019, 07:29:43 AM
A colleague here at Luxion is running a 2990WX. The machine gets pretty noisy when the CPU is put through its paces.  :)
Noise levels (along with saving space) is one of the reasons I recently bought a Corsair ONE i160 for at home. Admittedly, the i9 9900K in it is significantly less powerful (but still very good), but the machine is near silent under load.

Dries

ive noticed that changing the fan curve on the cpu cooler so the fan doesn't max out and  is less noisy during rendering  doesn't really change the cpu temp, I guess its been set not to exceed 68 degrees but can we just run fans slower and put up with a little less power, would this damage the cpu after a while... still learning.

CPU fan spinning at 2500rpm = 67.5 degrees , 3.6 Ghz
CPU fan spinning at 1700rpm = 67.7 degrees , 3.3 Ghz