Trying to make outrageous finishes real

Started by imikej, May 17, 2019, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

This is what we're always working on–trying our best to make some of the crazy stuff our clients cook up look real.  We built a configurator for Specialized to let them use the Viewer and render the finishes for a bike launch in real-time (on a 70" touchscreen).  Turned out to be a tall order.  But, it worked and it was cool.  The bike is finally out and we got around to rendering out some heroes from the same project.  Here is one.  The rest are in this Behance gallery: 
https://www.behance.net/gallery/80370455/Outrageous-Finishes-Rendered-Like-The-Real-Thing

Let us know what you think!

Will Gibbons

I think the speckled on on the Behance profile was my favorite! Thanks for sharing. Cool to see some nice paint and lighting!

imikej

Yes @willgibbons, that is one of my favorites too! I think we should re-render that one in orthographic as opposed to the slight three quarter. Here it is.

Rex

Josh3D

Just fabulous finishes, Mike. And love the lighting.

imikej

I've got to give a large shout out to a partner-in-crime, Tim Feher, who dove in with me on this and helped with finishes and other things.  Honestly, it was so long ago now (last June) that I don't remember which each of us did.  But, for sure we couldn't have gotten this project done especially in the crazy timeframe without him.  Almost every one of these finishes were a bit mind bending.  Tim is a master of materials and the the swami of calm that keeps one off the ledge of tall buildings. 

DMerz III

Those are some tasty shaders. My personal fave would be the black matte with hyper color strokes on the logo, so subtle!