scene for Ral Colors

Started by Öner, May 24, 2019, 01:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Öner

hello,

i am an industrial designer and we are working on RAL colors.  sometimes when i render a product with a ral color such as RAL 7035,  results make us crazy when we get the sample and compared color of render and sample.  They are different from each other, and i know that we never see the right color on monitor, but this differents are too big, there is no any similarity.

So, i want to ask;

is there a scene or maybe an environment to show us right,correct RAL color or close RAL color to real life on a metal or plastic or FRP surface?  if you have any experience please share with us.

DMerz III

Sounds like something XRite has been trying to solve with their total appearance capture and their 'lightbox' viewer.
Xrite is obviously not RAL, they are literally Pantone. But the concept is the same.
https://www.xrite.com/categories/appearance/total-appearance-capture-ecosystem

You would need a controlled lighting environment in physical space duplicated in a virtual scene in Keyshot.
(See their lightbox further down on the page).

The challenge is color is super relative, so you could get it to match on one screen in one room, go to another monitor in another room and they will look 'off' again.

When I worked with Motorola and needed to color match their parts, we would do it on site in a specific room, under specific lighting on a specific monitor and that was dubbed the 'standard'. So at least we could say we tried to get them on the same consistency that way, but ultimately it is impossible to color manage that look everywhere.

Öner

Quote from: DMerz III on May 24, 2019, 01:27:32 PM
Sounds like something XRite has been trying to solve with their total appearance capture and their 'lightbox' viewer.

First of all, thanks for your informative explanation.  i tried to same too, we got to sample at first, then i've tried to close to samples on KS.  i couldn't be successful yet, but i work on it.

DMerz III

If you do come up with a solution, I hope you'll share with us! Color is never easy! Ever!

Öner

yes, of course, i hope i can do it.

Will Gibbons

If it were me, I would purchase a small desktop white photo booth off amazon with neutral daylight bulbs (actually just did this recently). Set it up in a room that it will always be in and use a photographer's light meter to take a brightness/exposure reading within the photo booth. Then, build a KeyShot environment that matches it with the photo booth and add in some physical lights that match the LEDs within the photo booth. Then, make sure you'r screen is calibrated.

Not saying that's perfect or complete, but those are some of the considerations you'll need to take into account when trying to create a 1:1 comparison.

Öner

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 28, 2019, 12:20:34 PM
If it were me, I would purchase a small desktop white photo booth off amazon ...

thanks for your advice, it sounds a good idea.

DMerz III

;) Also, if you have extra budget you can purchase one of those 360 spherical cameras to capture your environment (even if it is low-res, you can use it as a template to build your environment on top).