Main Menu

Automotive Dossier

Started by Busato, May 25, 2019, 06:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busato

Hey all, its been ages since I have shared much so I figured what better time to start a perpetual thread. I work in the automotive industry so nearly all my uploads will be work related content that is now safe to share  8)

First up a DPi early concept render from mid 2016. Rendered using a custom HDRI built in keyshot and rendered out at 60 megapixel.

Busato

Next are some product renders done for a product announcement and to be used in a parts catalog. At the time of the project I think I was using Keyshot 7, rendered with a HDRI studio setup at 18 megapixel. This was also around the time I really started to work with material graph to really push more accurate materials. Its simply mind blowing how much you can modify via this method.

Busato

By far the longest term, most complex and resource challenging file I have created. This one dates back to early 2016 and keyshot 6. The ability for Keyshot to consume any data type and vastly complex assemblies as if they were native made this project possible. 25 gigs of data might be an all-time keyshot record? 

Never the less, the main studio render is a little over 80 megapixel... done for large format prints. Roughly 95% of the scene is lit using physical lights, with custom HDRIs used for some of the carbon trim and tire layered in photoshop. The headlights used physical point lights for the projectors but I had to cheat and use emissive for the halos. Now that I have been working in KS8, I am now able to render this element using physical lights more accurately (lens is dielectric i think and use point lights for the LEDs behind it), but its rather expensive CPU wise. I do recommend rendering your headlights on their own and then layering them in afterwards. It speeds up render times and cleans them up far quicker if you choose to use these more accurate methods. 

The nose shot and assembly render are both lit using HDRI

Will Gibbons

This thing is awesome! Great work. Thanks for the tip on the headlights. I've wondered the best way to approach these and this seems like a good method.