65 inch Qled as monitor?

Started by menizzi, June 04, 2019, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menizzi

For non professional work can a 4k TV be used to run KS or are the colors not displayed correctly?

Radeon Pro WX 5100 100-505940 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 Workstation Video Card
5120 x 2880

Tv max would be 3840 x 2160. Just wondering if anyone is doing it

andy.engelkemier

well, it depends on the TV. Some TV's have better color than many "professional" monitors. As a general rule, if your monitor is less than $400, then a higher end consumer TV will likely have better color. Someone bought a 32" LG 4k monitor for costco. They don't look amazing. Something is odd with the sharpness, and I can't really speak to their color accuracy. I have a TCL TV at home, I've hooked up my laptop to it before, and it seemed spot on. This surprised me.....a LOT, to the point that I've considered checking out the same thing.

Now....the 65" part? Your neck might get hurt after a few days of using that. And if it isn't that close, then why not just get a smaller one, and have it closer? 4K doesn't give you much power if it's too far away. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just do some calculations. My monitors are only about 26" away, so my head would fall off with 65" after a few days of using that. But at home I'd have it closer to 34-36 inches away, and at a standing desk, so maybe not so bad.
TV's....don't buy on specs. Take your laptop to the store and actually hook it up. Some have fixed settings that lock stupid things that shouldn't be locked. Why on Earth TV's don't always have a completely neutral setting is beyond me. There are still TV's that Overscan! It's a digital TV with no frame. That's just moronic.

Speedster

A warning on using huge monitors, and I speak from my own experience!  I've mentioned this before on our Forum.

For years I was using a 36" ViewSonic, not a good choice for many reasons.  I'm on the computer 8-10 hours a day in SolidWorks and KeyShot, and my right (mouse) shoulder was getting so sore I could hardly move my arm.  So I mentioned it to my chiropractor, who knew I did CAD and rendering work.   Without hesitation, he asked me what size monitor I was using.  Which was at the root of the problem.  He said it was showing up a lot, especially among younger designers and creative types.

With the "standard" size monitors most of us use, say a 15" laptop to the 22"-28" desktop range, mouse movement is confined to the wrist and forearm, but which rarely results in the dreaded Carpal Tunnel Syndrome common to keyboarders.

But larger monitors, 30" - 36" or more, there is a lot more real estate to cover, which transfers mouse actions to the shoulder, often resulting in a Rotator Cuff micro-tear due to the limited repetitive motion.

Anyway, by luck, my ViewSonic power supply blew up about a week after the diagnosis!  I was in the middle of two large CAD and rendering projects, and had to replace it ASAP.  I knew I wanted a really good monitor as a replacement, in the 22"-26" range, but none were available at the local big box retailer, and the HP I wanted would take over a week to get.  So I ended up getting a high-end EIZO 22" from my pro camera supply who specialized in Photoshop training, and had one in stock.  Expensive at $1400 (then) but the best decision I've ever made!  Great size, astounding color, depth, blacks and image quality, with a built in calibration and ambient light adjustment.  Direct from monitor to print!

And my shoulder completely healed in about three weeks!

Just food for thought...

Bill G 

menizzi

I got the TV. The first 65in came damaged so i had to get a newer model So I got a Q7 2018. Not bad. You do have to dial it in with the text scaling but over all this is really nice. I won't keep this for 9 years i plan to get a 8k in maybe 3-4 years. I would not go any higher then 65in tho. I can never go back to a small screen. Its just to easy to zoom on details. I really love this screen. I had some problems with getting the tv to see the PC but those have been solved. The mouse movement is...different. You have to slow down when working in the mat graph. This was a good buy. Thanks for telling me your findings too.

mattjgerard

Just curious, how far away from your eyeballs is the screen? My wife would love to use a 65" for a computer monitor, but she is legally blind and needs huge screens to see anyway, thus justifying a nice fat screen for the living room of our home :)

andy.engelkemier

Yes, I'm a bit curious on Seeing your setup. A picture, perhaps?
This might work well for my home office, which is also where my rower is. Rowing, or cycling, is much easier to do when you aren't paying much attention to the fact that you're doing it.
I've been using my projector, but then I've got to work out in the dark, not ideal. So one nice big multipurpose screen might be nice.
But, I'm pretty skeptical that I would like a TV that large only 27 or 28 inches from where I'm standing/sitting. And that would be an expensive way to find out you don't like it.

menizzi

https://imgur.com/a/V8tvQj3

just open a random file and applied a texture so you can get an idea of size.

off topic. are either of you free lancers in the usa by any chance? And have skills with getting substance source files to work with keyshot? I have reached out to 2 people and got 1 reply asking for more information and then not returning any messages back.

in other news yeah you have to watch your neck thats for sure. I have very limited time as i work offshore i can make it work i have no idea how this would work day to day but man i am not going back to a monitor at all...ever

andy.engelkemier

Unfortunately, I have no experience with substance yet. I do work in the US, but also not as freelance. But I do take jobs at work.
I can't really use substance at work because of their cost structure being too expensive if the company you work for makes money. Although, after looking, that doesn't seem to effect substance source, which is just plain expensive.

Anyway, if you need some renderings or animations done, I'd be happy to help. But unless I get a job that requires substance for several months, I couldn't justify the purchase.

mattjgerard

Dang, the keyboard it right at the monitor? That is where you sit? That's crazy close. I could never work like that! I have a 28"4K monitor at home, and I had to find a different desk to use so I could push it farther away from my face. I do think that I would like a single larger monitor though, I have 3 right now, and used to use 2 27" apple cinema displays. Too wide. Would trade some of that width for height, but can only do that with a single monitor. I remember editing on an Avid Symphony that was using a single 32" rather than the standard dual 21's and it was amazingly awesome.