Exporting as an .obj to C4D

Started by AngelaD, June 13, 2019, 01:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelaD

Is there's a correct process for exporting a Keyshot 8 file to an obj so that C4D can open it?

Sune

OBJ files do not represent KeyShot materials correctly.

I believe C4D can open FBX files, which provides a more accurate representation.

mattjgerard

Cinema will open OBJ or FBX files, but neither will do a good job of transferring materials. The best you can hope for is image textures be mapped (somewhat) correctly, but there are no equals for material types that transfer.

What is the purpose of exporting to cinema? I am a long time cinema user, so I do have some experience with it. I will usually do setups and positioning of stuff in keyshot, and then export an fbx to cinema if I need to do any simulations or other detail 3d work such as running wires and cables. Then I'll export it back. The geometry usually doesn't have an issue moving back and forth. The scaling can take some getting used to, and the normals might need to be recalculated in keyshot but that seems to have gotten loads better in the later versions.

AngelaD

Thanks mattjgerard. More advanced animation is wanted. Any info on how to adjust the scaling normals would be great.

AngelaD

I need to transfer the rendered keyshot files to another person so he can incorporate them into movies. For efficiency, he wants to be able to tweak the renders himself, instead of going back and forth. It doesn't have to be C4D, Aftereffects would do too.