animating smoke leaking in from behind a door

Started by wayneheim, June 13, 2019, 02:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayneheim

Need to show smoke coming in from the edge of a door frame. Any suggestions on doing this in keyshot would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

brahmzxc

You want to animate it ?

If yes, I don't think there is a way in keyshot to animate it.

Let's see what senior members have to say about it.

Eugen Fetsch

Like brahmzxc said. No way to have an animation in KS for smoke.
The most cheap way would be to find some smoke on stock like videohive or shutterstock and compose it in post.

This one could do the job

andy.engelkemier

now, I haven't done it, because if I were doing smoke, I would do it as a completely separate pass. And if I'm doing it in a different software in the first place, I'd just render that pass there....BUT
I think if you did the smoke in something like blender, you can bring it over with alembic to render.

But like I said, you'll have more control and a Much shorter timeline because you can more easily change things afterward.

Now, if you have moving cameras in Keyshot, then you might be hosed because as far as I know, those don't get exported?

If not, just do an FBX export of your scene, do the smoke in your favorite DCC application (there are Lots of tutorials on blender smoke, it's free, and renders really fast with Eevee)
Render out Just the smoke, and composite those together in afterEffects.

wayneheim

Ok, I created a smoke animation in Blender but not sure how to export it out to use in Keyshot. I tried Alembic but must be doing something wrong because Keyshot doesn't like the file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

INNEO_MWo

KeyShot 8 has a small bug when importing an alembic file if KeyShot is installed "for everyone" (resources in pubic documents). The solution is either using KeyShot 7 to import the alembic file, save it and use the bip in KeyShot 8. Or install KeyShot with "only for me" option (resources in own documents), then KeyShot 8 "like the alembic file".

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco