Unable to import .alembic file in Keyshot. What to do?

Started by brahmzxc, June 15, 2019, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brahmzxc

I am unable to import this .abc file .

I have created this animation in blender with animation nodes.

I have also attached the .abc and .blender file.

Can anyone help me with issue, that what I am doing wrong here.

brahmzxc

And yes while installing keyshot I selected for "Only Me" not for "Anyone on this computer"

INNEO_MWo

For everyone who isn't allowed to install "only for me", can use KeyShot 7 to import the alembic file, save the bip and work on it in KeyShot 8. That is an improved solution!
Hopefully we get an update without this bug.

Cheers
Marco

brahmzxc

Hey Mwo, did u opened the file I have attached, I mean that can we import this type of animation in keyshot?

INNEO_MWo

No, until you asked for. I am no Blender user and I wasn't capable to export the alembic file right. Might be the turn for the Blender experts.
I can export it as fbx and can import the mesh in KeyShot 7 and 8.

Sorry - I out!

But I wish you good luck!

Cheers
Marco

Eugen Fetsch

You need to check the "Curves as Mesh" check box during the alembic export in Blender. Your current alembic file contains just the bezier curve without geometry/thickness. KS cannot read that.

INNEO_MWo

Thank you Eugen.
I've tried that, but without success. I've started learning Blender today.

INNEO_MWo

OK - here we go.
I added a solidify modifier to the curve and exported it as the attached alembic file. Maybe I added to many options? - But finally KeyShot 7 and 8 (for all installation) was capable to import the mesh.

Cheers
Marco

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: MWo on June 16, 2019, 08:46:14 AM
OK - here we go.
I added a solidify modifier to the curve and exported it as the attached alembic file. Maybe I added to many options? -

There are different ways to get thickness on curves. 1st is to use the solidify modifier, 2nd is to use the depth parameter in curves properties. So, there is no right or wrong. You can even use both and create a pipe ;)

P.S.: You're entering the rabbit hole my friend and you'll have a lot of fun in this new world ;D @Marco.

brahmzxc

You guys did a great job, I am finally able to import this is Keyshot 8 but the problem is there is no animation, only the spline is being imported. :'( :'(

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: brahmzxc on June 16, 2019, 11:10:01 PM
You guys did a great job, I am finally able to import this is Keyshot 8 but the problem is there is no animation, only the spline is being imported. :'( :'(

Did you scroll through the timeline - I have no issues with the import.

INNEO_MWo

Hello (from the rabbit hole).

Are there issue with the nodes in Blender? If I open the original blend file - hm - see it in the attached screenshot.

Otherwise an animation can be transferred to KeyShot with the "deforming mesh" option within the import dialog!

Cheers
Marco

Eugen Fetsch

You're diving too deep for a beginner Marco. ;D
The issue is caused by a missing add-on "Animation Nodes". You need to install it first, to run the animation.

Animation nodes is an advances feature (IMO). I can give you a beginners crash course in Blender first, if you like. Let me know.

INNEO_MWo

Thank you Eugen for the offer. I appreciate this. But currently once a month with YouTube help I will take a look into it.
The goals are only some animation stuff with physics to compensate the things our CAD won't do or probably so UV unwrapping till KeyShot is capable to do this.

C u soon!

Cheers
Marco

brahmzxc

Hey Comomiles,

I imported the .abc file that was attached by MWo and checked the deformable mesh.
But still you can see there is no frames in the timeline.