Main Menu

The Shape of Things

Started by imikej, June 20, 2019, 07:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

Embarking on a long-term personal project to explore the shape of things. I'm challenging myself to find ways to do it simply and with one shot. This is my first image. It's a shout-out to my friend, Tim Feher, who worked with me on a fun project with this Aston Martin DB4 many Christmases ago. Tim taught me almost everything I know. (Except for the stuff other people taught me....) Tim is one of the few people in this business that I've met willing to freely give away his hard-earned methods. I think he truly gets satisfaction from seeing other people do well and knowing that he's had something to do with it. That's my case. Tim, this one's for you!

Magnus Skogsfjord

This really has a super mood. Loving the lighting on this one.

Does it have a subtle bloom enabled? I'm arguing with myself whether or not it should have it. Would maybe wash out the surrounding materials a bit too much?

imikej

Thank you!  Yes, a very subtle bloom and then DOF.  To get the DOF to render enough I rendered at max samples of 512.  Seems like an overkill, but I like the DOF to smooth out throughout the image.  In post I added a bid of "light spread" to the lights and worked the mid-tones and shadows. 

Spydabizkit

Very nice.  The car paint material is very nice, and somewhat Matte finished.  Was it the intention to go for a less glossy original paint look?  I'm curious to see an image with higher shine on the paint  :).  I also think a little bloom will help dissolve the background some more!  Great stuff.

-SPYDA

imikej

Thank you, Spyda.  The intention was to get closer to the finishes that these cars had.  You got it.  The matte feeling probably comes more from the light rather than the material.  But, I messed with the material a bit as well.  I started with the automotive paints in the KS library and then worked them in the Material Graph until I ran out of space on the screen....  Later today, I'll put up a higher gloss finish in a similar scene.