So I just pulled the trigger on a new system... Did I make a mistake?

Started by jayfade, June 26, 2019, 11:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

LM6

Quote from: DriesV on July 02, 2019, 12:45:00 AM
Hey SK1107,

A system like Peter's with four RTX 2080 Ti cards will definitely be a very fast machine for GPU rendering.
You shouldn't see GPU as making all CPU-based rendering (including Network Rendering) obsolete though. To the contrary. I think the CPU and GPU rendering are quite complimentary and they each have unique benefits.

For some GPU will make a lot of sense, for many others CPU will remain the best choice.
There are several reasons for that:

• GPU performance is very scene dependent. The speedup of GPU over CPU is typically largest for relatively simple models with simple materials/shaders. I.e. where there is a lot of pure raytracing. Our tests have shown that a single RTX 2080 (non Ti) can be 7 times faster than a Threadripper 2990WX in certain scenarios, but that number doesn't hold for all types of scenes.
  • GPU still has the limitation that everything from models to textures etc. needs to be able to fit in the GPU memory. An RTX 2080 card has 8 GB of memory and that is basically what you're stuck with as far as scene complexity and render size goes. Of course, higher end GPUs will have more memory, but they do come at a premium price. CPU rendering is much more flexible in terms of memory usage, and new PCs come with much more system memory than 8 GB.
  • For now, GPU rendering will be a local rendering solution. The benefit of Network Rendering is that jobs can be offloaded to different machines than the one you are working on.

You will have to make your own evaluation to determine if CPU or GPU makes sense for you. Of course, you can always decide to combine both options and leverage the strength of each.  :)

Dries

So was the 7 times faster achieved using the RT cores and was that with the benchmark camera scene? did it give you a FPS score?? I am not aware of anyone that has currently implemented the RT cores into their render engines, well not on commercial releases,  although Octane has a beta benchmark app that tells me my system runs 3 times faster with RT cores enabled.

DriesV

Hi Peter,

Yes, it was achieved using the RT cores.
Yes, it was while running the camera benchmark scene.

"GPU fps" is 250. For CPU rendering, the frame is subsampled in 16 pieces though. So the fps count is for 1/16 of the frame. For GPU rendering, we don't do that. So the equivalent "CPU fps" would be 4000.

Dries

Dries

LM6

Quote from: DriesV on July 02, 2019, 09:19:30 AM
Hi Peter,

Yes, it was achieved using the RT cores.
Yes, it was while running the camera benchmark scene.

"GPU fps" is 250. For CPU rendering, the frame is subsampled in 16 pieces though. So the fps count is for 1/16 of the frame. For GPU rendering, we don't do that. So the equivalent "CPU fps" would be 4000.

Dries

Dries

Thanks for the info Dries..

So you  achieved the equivalent of 4000 fps with 2 x 2080 GPU!!!! thats serious, iam looking forward to trying this on my rig
Do all the nodes and shaders work the same on the GPU as they do on CPU?

Sorry for all the questions, this sounds amazing.

Cheers

Peter

LM6

Hang on, I made mistake you said a single GPU

4000fps on one GPU...F***ck what will happen when you run 4

DriesV

Quote from: LM6 on July 02, 2019, 09:39:44 AM
Hang on, I made mistake you said a single GPU

4000fps on one GPU...F***ck what will happen when you run 4

We haven't dared to test this. We expect your machine to melt and the fps counter to explode.

On a serious note... We are working hard to support all features for release. All material types and all Material Graph setups are supported.

Dries

Nils Piirma

Dries, can we also have a potential support for NVIDIA Tesla T series? T4's i have 3x

DriesV

The Tesla T4 is essentially the same GPU as the RTX 2080, so it should work.

Dries

jayfade

Quote from: Nils Piirma on June 27, 2019, 03:18:52 AM
GPU is only used in the viewport to generate FX by using the image tab in project menu, some settings are used to generate artificial effects.
Other than that, GPU is not used for rendering, only CPU, and future plans lead me to belive that there wont be any GPU rendering coming from KeyShot (spoken with the Dev leader about this)

So I've got some serious problems..
I've run the new computer with keyshot for a whole week now and it's such a perfomance boost compared with my old computer.
But now it shutsdown randomly..
I've checked the RAM and placed them in the right order regarding Gigbytes manual.
ALOT of coil whining when working inside Keyshot. This occurs already when I start Keyshot.
Temputre gets maxed to 68C° (I know that AMD have an offset around 10C°)
Am I doing something wrong?..
I havn't done anything with BIOS or AMD Ryzen Master. Everything is stock confg.

Nils Piirma

Quote from: jayfade on July 07, 2019, 11:42:19 PM
GPU is only used in the viewport to generate FX by using the image tab in project menu, some settings are used to generate artificial effects.
Other than that, GPU is not used for rendering, only CPU, and future plans lead me to belive that there wont be any GPU rendering coming from KeyShot (spoken with the Dev leader about this)

I've run the new computer with keyshot for a whole week now and it's such a perfomance boost compared with my old computer.
I've checked the RAM and placed them in the right order regarding Gigbytes manual.
ALOT of coil whining when working inside Keyshot. This occurs already when I start Keyshot.
I havn't done anything with BIOS or AMD Ryzen Master. Everything is stock confg.

Make sure you turn off HPET or High Precision Event timer in the bios. Also check your cooler mounting. And downclock your memory to 2866 or 2666. Usually that helps. Windows is sometimes quite picky with these high core count chips. I had the same issue. Also uninstall ryzen master. It will try to override its preffered settings sometimes and will lead to hangs. I have opted out using it entierly. I just boosted my clock to 4ghz in the bios and left ryzen master alone ;)

jayfade

Quote from: Nils Piirma on July 07, 2019, 11:55:46 PM

Make sure you turn off HPET or High Precision Event timer in the bios. Also check your cooler mounting. And downclock your memory to 2866 or 2666. Usually that helps. Windows is sometimes quite picky with these high core count chips. I had the same issue. Also uninstall ryzen master. It will try to override its preffered settings sometimes and will lead to hangs. I have opted out using it entierly. I just boosted my clock to 4ghz in the bios and left ryzen master alone ;)

Thanks for the quick answer!
So followed your instructions and I think I know what caused the problem.
I've only plugged in the 8pin for the CPU and noticed that the motherboard had an 4pin also above the 8pin. So I plugged in the 4pin + 8pin.
And now it seems stable.
The PPT is not maxed out anymore.
Never seen that a CPU need a totalt of 12pins before. This may be a rookie misstake from my side.

Nils Piirma

Quote from: jayfade on July 08, 2019, 12:57:50 AM
Quote from: Nils Piirma on July 07, 2019, 11:55:46 PM

Thanks for the quick answer!
So followed your instructions and I think I know what caused the problem.
I've only plugged in the 8pin for the CPU and noticed that the motherboard had an 4pin also above the 8pin. So I plugged in the 4pin + 8pin.
And now it seems stable.
The PPT is not maxed out anymore.
Never seen that a CPU need a totalt of 12pins before. This may be a rookie misstake from my side.

Hey, yeah, Threadripper is very power hungry, it's roughly pulling 380-450w from the wall when using the full 2x8pin or 1x 8 +1x 4 pin,

jayfade

So it crashed again..
The loggs in Windows does not show any strange error a side off the random shutdown.
This time when the crashed occured, the RED light on the DRAM turned on and it refused to start again.
I had to pull out the power cabel and then plugged it in again to get it to start.
Should I try to run 1 RAM stick each time and see if there something wrong with the RAMs?

Nils Piirma

Quote from: jayfade on July 08, 2019, 01:47:52 AM
So it crashed again..
The loggs in Windows does not show any strange error a side off the random shutdown.
This time when the crashed occured, the RED light on the DRAM turned on and it refused to start again.
I had to pull out the power cabel and then plugged it in again to get it to start.
Should I try to run 1 RAM stick each time and see if there something wrong with the RAMs?

You have all dimm's populated`?

Maybe we can take this to skype instead: hit me up via skype: tehnik.nils.poff