How can I apply more than one material on the same object ?

Started by kyng, July 01, 2019, 02:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyng

Hello Keyshot users ,
I am new to Keyshot and I have my first question . I have a part I import into keyshot and I want to know if it is possible to apply two different materials to the same part . I have a tube I want to show it as cutaway so I want to apply like steel on the outside but the inner surface of the tube I want to use some bright material like paint so that the lights/environment can see inside the tube.
Thanks in advance!
KN

INNEO_MWo

Hello and welcome to this awesome community.

To solve the two material body, you can do:
1. split the outer geometry using a different color attached to the surface. So KeyShot Split the body in different meshes based on the surface color. You can handle them like different parts and apply any material individually.
But if you try a cutaway material on both meshes, KeyShot should not be able to calculate the caps.
2. option can get more complicated bast on the complexity of the body shape.
I would apply the light material for the inner shape on the unsplitted body and attach the metal as a label. Now comes the complex part: to separate the materials you'll have to drive the opacity of the label material. Maybe some procedural textures will help on this?!

Hope you have access to a pro version of KeyShot. ,Cause the restrictions of the HD license make it more challenging not using the material graph.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

jhiker

Has your version of Keyshot got the 'Geometry Editor' - sounds like you could use that to split the surfaces.

kyng

Hello and thanks for your replies . One way I can do is I can create a surface layer inside the tube in Solidworks and in Keyshot all i have to do is select that layer and apply a different material. But I want to do it in Keyshot and I don't know how to spit the body like you said . Any screenshot is helpful. Btw I am using version 8 .
Thanks
KN

mattjgerard

Right click the part and select EDIT GEOMETRY, in the next dialog select SPLIT OBJECT SURFACES, click on the object in the list then move the dialog box out of the way because it ALWAYS lands itself right over the top of your object and click on the face you want to split out, it should highlight in green. Click SPLIT OBJECT and hit apply. You will then get a group in your scene tree that has 2 objects in it, and you can now apply 2 different materials to those objects.

kyng

Hi Mattgerard,
I itried what you showed me but I think it's not what I want to achieve. I have a tube that I want to apply one material on the outside and another on the inside surface . The split object in KS can't let me do that . It only splits the geometry but not splitting like the way I want .
The attached image is an example of what I want to do . It is just a screenshot from solidworks .
And if this can't be done in KS then I guess I have to manually make a layer inside the tube and then import this same model into KS.  is there a way that I can update my model in KS without having to re-import the model and endup having two models in my current project ?

INNEO_MWo

Hello.

Attached you'll find a solution to use different materials on one single part. Just look into the material graph to see all the details.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

kyng

kyng

Hi Marco, I opened your model in KS and saw the material graph you did. That's too advanced for me . I ended up creating a surface layer in SW and updated my model . But since your model also has cutaway like mine, I notice that under the caps style, if I choose inherit caps , color or material I get that strange shadow with the red arrow pointing to it . But if I choose no caps then that goes away .  Is there a fix for it ?

INNEO_MWo

The problem is overlapping objects. As shown in the cutaway demo scene, you have to scale the inner surface just a bit. (Maybe 0.995 would work?!)

kyng

Oh I see . I'll take a look at ịt . Thanks Marco .