Worn Paint material in KS8

Started by HaroldL, July 04, 2019, 08:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaroldL

I want to add some worn areas and grunge to a Brass engine model and was trying to follow Esben Oxholm's tutorial on creating the worn paint material in this blog post. The steps he outlined in his tutorial don't work with the material changes in KS8. In the video the base material only has one node, in KS8 the base material has two. I can get none of the results as shown in the tutorial.

Is there an updated tutorial for KS8 or, (Esben, if you're listening), would he mind recreating the tutorial with KS8 materials?

HaroldL

Quote from: TGS808 on July 05, 2019, 08:42:21 AM
... you don't need to connect anything to the node on the right.
Except that the node on the right is the one with the Label connection which Esben connects the Paint material to. ???
Now a new problem; I'm following the tutorial but starting with a measured Brass (70/30) material instead of Aluminum. In the Material Graph I add a Paint material node, hit "C" to activate it, set the color then hit "C" again to deactivate it. Keyshot will freeze for a few seconds then crash. Three times so far. >:( >:( >:(

Eric Summers

Quote from: HaroldL on July 05, 2019, 12:51:34 PM
Quote from: TGS808 on July 05, 2019, 08:42:21 AM
... you don't need to connect anything to the node on the right.
Except that the node on the right is the one with the Label connection which Esben connects the Paint material to. ???
Now a new problem; I'm following the tutorial but starting with a measured Brass (70/30) material instead of Aluminum. In the Material Graph I add a Paint material node, hit "C" to activate it, set the color then hit "C" again to deactivate it. Keyshot will freeze for a few seconds then crash. Three times so far. >:( >:( >:(

Yeah, the color preview crash is frustrating. It's been reported a few times now: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=24487.0 My suggestion would be to connect your paint node to the root node if it is going to be a label first, then change the color. KS won't crash if the node is connected to something.

And yes, you connect labels to the root node - the node on the right in TGS808's image.

HaroldL

I had no idea that this was a known issue. I've edited a lot of materials and previewed colors and it's been working just fine up until today.
BTW, I just tried it with the Paint node connected to Label1 of the root node and, true to form, it crashed.
Other than stating it will be fixed in the next update has there been any feedback on this? 
I just put in a request for IT at my work to update to KS8, I hope it is fixed before the update gets installed.

TGS808

Apologies Harold, I gave you faulty info.  :-[ This is what happens when I try to do things from memory without having KS8 in front of me. You do indeed have to connect to the node on the right.  The graph should look like the attached image.

HaroldL

Apology accepted. It seems now that other issues popped up that I have to keep an eye out for.
I was able to copy from the image you posted and got a material that looks almost like what I want. Just need to tweak all the adjustments to get it fine tuned.Luckily, KeyShot hasn't crashed on me again -- yet.

TGS808

Quote from: HaroldL on July 05, 2019, 07:05:12 PM
Apology accepted. It seems now that other issues popped up that I have to keep an eye out for.
I was able to copy from the image you posted and got a material that looks almost like what I want. Just need to tweak all the adjustments to get it fine tuned.Luckily, KeyShot hasn't crashed on me again -- yet.

Glad to hear your material is getting closer.

That color preview bug is really annoying. I'm actually glad I posted here because I hadn't come across that bug before (or the other posts about it). I have KS8 at home but at my job we are still on KS7. (that's where I posted from earlier today and why I didn't have KS8 handy to look at which lead to the bad info I gave you) I still use KS7 at home most of the time so I can move files back and forth between the two locations. I was on the verge of having them update us to KS8 at work but with this bug... I think I'll hold off a little longer. I use the color preview a lot.

HaroldL

Seems like I'm in the same situation as you, KS8 at home KS7 at work. I was thinking of asking our IT guy to hold off the update too. But as long as you know the process posted by Eric I don't think this "bug" should hold up any update. I've tried it and I can still preview the color as long as the node is connected, as per Eric (Thank you).

At least you'll be able to use the other enhancements of KS8. I had plans to start using the new Section procedure at work. I can see a lot of potential with that tool.

Eric Summers

Glad I could help! It's definitely frustrating when you forget about it and crash after doing a lot of work. And somehow I still manage to ignore my save reminder ;D

TGS808

Quote from: HaroldL on July 06, 2019, 07:26:31 PM
But as long as you know the process posted by Eric I don't think this "bug" should hold up any update. I've tried it and I can still preview the color as long as the node is connected, as per Eric

Somehow, my eye glossed right over that part. If it's fool proof, then I may have to start hounding IT for updates again.  ;D