Keyshot 9

Started by Rantech, July 08, 2019, 04:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rantech

Hello there is already first information about Keyshot 9?

MQ

There is some information regarding excellent GPU support (NVidia RTX cards, GeForce RTX 2080 being up to 7 times faster than a AMD 2990WX), a new denoising feature, an impressive cloth material generator and some other new stuff.

I'm shure we will get a newsletter with new information soon.

Eron

This should be quite impressive.....could you post some more details, please ?
Regards
E.

SebastianG

Last week was the KeyShot World 2019 in Germany and it was amazing.

Some features I remember from the presentation:
- Advanced Cloth material
- GPU Rendering (needs RTX cards)
- AI-Denoiser
- UV Wrapper in KeyShot
- Improved "rounded edges"

Eugen Fetsch

And...

!!! ... DRUM ROLL ... !!!

Animation curves!!!!!  :o

DriesV

Quote from: SebastianG on July 09, 2019, 02:43:27 AM
Last week was the KeyShot World 2019 in Germany and it was amazing.

Some features I remember from the presentation:
- Advanced Cloth material
- GPU Rendering (needs RTX cards)
- AI-Denoiser
- UV Wrapper in KeyShot
- Improved "rounded edges"

Just a note on GPU...
An RTX card is not required for GPU Mode. Any card from the Maxwell generation (e.g. GTX 980) or newer will work.
However, the rendering will be sped up significantly by having an RTX card, since our implementation can leverage the RT cores present on those cards.

Dries

nicordf

THIS IS EPIC! I just started a thread regarding AI denoising. UV wrapping is going to be a game changer as well!!

Weezer

Is the GPU acceleration limited to Nvidia cards? No sign of AMD/Metal for Mac users?

Hopefully the AI denoising isn't GPU bound.

Weezer

Hello? Anybody know anything about this?

SebastianG

I hope my memory is correct.
In the presentation they said that the denoiser is faster with a GPU, but it also works with a CPU (2.5 seconds?).

Weezer

Okay, apparently KS9 is Nvidia/CUDA only. Which is hugely disappointing for everyone not on that GPU ecosystem. Anyone who wants Metal support for macOS should let Luxion know,

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: Weezer on July 25, 2019, 01:42:40 AM
Okay, apparently KS9 is Nvidia/CUDA only. Which is hugely disappointing for everyone not on that GPU ecosystem. Anyone who wants Metal support for macOS should let Luxion know,
Maybe it is better to ask Apple for NVIDIA support instead?  8) 

mattjgerard

"Maybe it is better to ask Apple for NVIDIA support instead?  8) "

Ha, yeah, good luck with that! I know you are joking, but it really is a serious issue. NVIDIA is really breaking some new trails in terms of GPU's, and apple really needs to get over themselves. I mean, Steve's gone, time to do what is good for the customer, not hold petty grudges.  Jarred Land (RED Cinema) , one of the biggest advocates and lover of the Mac ecosystem literally begged apple at the last developers conference to open up NVIDIA support on the Mac. He offered to do it for them, and hand them the code for free.  Something Is odd at apple, and I just can't figure it out, but is a reason that I will probably not be updating my 2015 macbook pro with a new one.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: mattjgerard on July 25, 2019, 06:02:08 AM
"Maybe it is better to ask Apple for NVIDIA support instead?  8) "
Actually not :) Matt

I believe, that it's much harder for Luxion (and their small dev team) to cut their capacities for (let me guess) 5% more market share on Apple Pro users, than it would be for Apple to support NVIDIA and finally entry the pro users market. OpenCL and CUDA have different APIs - IMO a very hard task to implement and keep the maintenance running for both systems. For what?

You nailed it - somethin is odd at apple.  ;D

P.S.:
@Matt
I was sitting on my 2015 MB, waiting for some hot gear from Apple with NVIDIA support. Year for year, presentation for presentation my love to this company cooled massively down. Meanwhile I've bought two Windows systems (56x & 64x threads), each for a price where the new Mac Pro (8x threads) just starts. Now it's time for a new notebook - still no Pro solutions from Apple in their store. The Razor Blade 15 RTX 2080 with all the ports (no adapters  ;D) and power looks like something I could fall in love with ;)

mattjgerard

Man, I could have written that. Same story. Grew up on macs, loved the OS, really liked the integration with the hardware, but I fear that the pendulum has swung too far. When I was working 10-12 hours days video editing and compositing in AE working on my last version of the cheesegrater mac was glorious. It was still speedy, but now to get something at that level with current hardware I'm guessing with the new modular macpro will be unreasonably expensive. I did purchase and build a windows machine and bought a windows laptop in the meantime. I still use my 15" Mbp for personal use, but that will most likely be the last mac laptop that I buy. Which to me is just sad. With each iteration there is less and less stuff that you can do with them, and the price to performance ratio is getting stupid.

Anyway, png frame stack for alpha videos until Luxion includes the recently released apple ProRes codecs for windows. ProRes4444+ is a really nice looking codec.