Keyshot 9

Started by Rantech, July 08, 2019, 04:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugen Fetsch

Hm, I don't see a necessity for a ProRes in KS. Working with single frames is much more reliable (at least for me). If something goes wrong, you can just render new single frames. I would rather like to see an implementation of Multilayer OpenEXR for having all the passes in one file. This format is Open Source and well documented.

mattjgerard

Quote from: camomiles on July 26, 2019, 12:44:39 AM
Hm, I don't see a necessity for a ProRes in KS. Working with single frames is much more reliable (at least for me). If something goes wrong, you can just render new single frames. I would rather like to see an implementation of Multilayer OpenEXR for having all the passes in one file. This format is Open Source and well documented.

There still are people that want to render full on videos directly from KS. I'm not one of them, and I know you and I are big proponents of NOT rendering video files (fistbump) but if one wanted to, ProRes would be the way to go. Its just a codec that would have to be implemented, so would be light work on Ks's side. I worked with ProRes since day one of Final Cut and apple, and its a great production codec.

I did a bunch of reading about EXR files a while back when I was getting into more compositing, and then I stopped doing ae work. Does After Effects handle mulitlayer exr files? I know houdini and I think Resolve can. Its a cool concept about having all the passes in one file and extracting them through nodes.

Eugen Fetsch

It works fine with the Extractor Plug-In in AE. Natron, Nuke, Resolve, Fusion and Blender do it naively.

But now we are completely off topic :)

Bruno F

Moving post to general discussion.

NormanHadley

Can anyone tell me if my Quadro M4000 is tall enough to go on this ride?

And (very roughly, won't hold you to it, promise) how much extra oomph would it deliver over my current CPU-only setup (Intel i7-6700 running at 3.4GHz)?

weatherman

My dual RTX 2080ti 11gb video cards are waiting for GPU button on the ribbon. Is there any idea when Keyshot 9 is being released.

SK1107

Quote from: weatherman on August 11, 2019, 06:52:18 AM
Is there any idea when Keyshot 9 is being released.

This Autumn

DetroitVinylRob

Soooo, anyone else running a beta copy of KS9, and your thoughts???

We currently don't have the "best" NVIDIA card yet (running a Quadro P5000 v419.17), but have one coming for a test rally drive.

Presently going through a whole routine test battery of renders to see how time vs quality suss out.

But honestly, imho the single most prickly issue I have had with KS is "real-time-rendering", even with a relative power house machine of 26 core, visualization of complex AND large assemblies (50m triangles) with multiple clear optical lenses (for the transportation lighting industry) has at best hindered my workflow and plagued my quality control. It has been virtually impossible to clearly see in "real-time" what the rendered results could bring.

That said, GPU already appears to be offering unprecedented benefits toward this resolve. We are so very hopeful (even if rendering still needs to be done in the context of a "Network" paradigm). Thank you KS developers. It's a new dawn, it's a new day...

DetroitVinylRob

Not sure what I'm going to get with GPU vs CPU rendering in that we noted one can no longer utilize the rendering option: Custom Control. GPU calls for either Max Samples or Max Time. The later, though I realize many folks like it in their particular workflow, does not appear useful to me. We have to have the highest res samples.

GPU in Real-Time-Render also doesn't appear to be faithfully displaying Global Illumination effects in reflections through multiple refracting lens materials. Hmmm.

Eric Summers

Quote from: DetroitVinylRob on August 14, 2019, 10:54:46 AM

Rob, how did you get the beta? I thought I was in the loop as to when they started testing, but I guess not. I have a machine with a Quadro M4000 that I'm interested in testing out.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Eric Summers on August 14, 2019, 12:28:14 PM

Rob, how did you get the beta? I thought I was in the loop as to when they started testing, but I guess not. I have a machine with a Quadro M4000 that I'm interested in testing out.

Email beta@luxion.com, that's what I did. I only have a gtx980, so mine is BARELY supported, and in fact renders slower than the CPU. And I'll be getting a new workstation soon that will take my fps from 145 to over 400, so not sure I'll be dabbling with GPU rendering anytime soon.

Eric Summers

Quote from: mattjgerard on August 14, 2019, 01:32:35 PM

Email beta@luxion.com, that's what I did. I only have a gtx980, so mine is BARELY supported, and in fact renders slower than the CPU. And I'll be getting a new workstation soon that will take my fps from 145 to over 400, so not sure I'll be dabbling with GPU rendering anytime soon.

Thanks Matt! :)

NormanHadley

Hi Eric. Do you have good reason to think an M4000 will handle KS9? That's what I have in my machine but I wasn't sure if it was too old (pre-RTX).

DetroitVinylRob

Quote from: mattjgerard on August 14, 2019, 01:32:35 PM

Sorry to hear that you may not be getting into GPU anytime soon, I always appreciate your knowledge base and support to the community.

mattjgerard

Quote from: NormanHadley on August 15, 2019, 04:06:24 AM

Hi Eric. Do you have good reason to think an M4000 will handle KS9? That's what I have in my machine but I wasn't sure if it was too old (pre-RTX).

it should work, it just won't be able to take advantage of the newer gidgets and widgets of the newer cards. My gtx980 -which honestly is a 5 yer old card which is nearly dead with feeding tube by today's performance standards- will load scenes and render, but much slower than 24 threads of 5 year old dual 6 core xeons.