Toon Shadows have black outline upon Render - not in live preview.

Started by Aeonjoey, July 18, 2019, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeonjoey

I've got the perfect combination of settings for the 'sculpted shadow' appearance in the Toon settings I need, but when I go to render it, I end up with very different contour thicknesses, and contoured edges on the shadows, vs what's shown in the live preview. Anyone know how to fix this? been playing with settings for hours.
(Image on the left is live preview - desired appearance, image on the right is render)

INNEO_MWo

I guess you had the contour width defined in pixels. So just calculate the factor between view port and high res render to multiply the contour width pixel value. Or toggle of the pixel value and use a unit value (even the view port looks weird). A clippen region for the high res render will help to evaluate the contour width quick.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

andy.engelkemier

Yes, this is the worst part of the toon shader. Unless your final render is only 1200px or so, you've got some work to do.

If you define in pixels, you may never be able to preview the true size. So you have to preview at something like Exactly a quarter size, then multiply by 4 before rendering.
OR you can render at physical size, but then the size falls of in the distance. That looks pretty cool, but may not be what you intend.

RRIS

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on July 22, 2019, 10:56:11 AM
OR you can render at physical size, but then the size falls of in the distance. That looks pretty cool, but may not be what you intend.

Damn, I somehow never realized that this is the big difference in rendering px vs physical size... the distance fallof! Makes perfect sense :)