textures not loading

Started by ninosboombox, August 07, 2019, 12:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninosboombox

Hello all,
I've looked in the forums but havn't found a solution thus far. hope some of the knowledgeable folks here can help out??

keyshot 8.1.61
win 10

-I have a scene and import a cgaxis tree with textures from an external hard drive. I tried saving as a bip file and as a package, but once I close keyshot and re open to continue work, all of the textures from that tree will not load.

-in the material tab the tree texture has the correct path to the texture but it is not applied and the material preview icon does not show the texture, just the grey and white checkerboard squares. I cannot click the reload button, it will not do anything. If I click the open file button and reassign the material it will show up, but now I would have to do this for the multiple trees that I have in the scene. I am duplicating the tree, but the textures are missing from both the original imported tree and the duplicates.

-if I reassign the texture, it will show up once reopened in the BIP file, but will lose the textures again if I save as a package and re-open. I am using other textures that are located on the same external hard drive for other objects in my scene that have no problem loading when I reopen. the common thing i am noticing is if i manually assign the texture it seems to be fine, but fbx files that already have textures assigned will not load once reopened... I dont know why this is or how to remedy but just a not of the behavior.

-one other note that may be useful or "the thing".... in the folder that has the tree model (folder name: cgaxsis model volume xxx). there is no texture folder for that model just the fbx file. Once I import the model into keyshot, there is a texture folder for that specific model that generates into the main folder. It was a bit weird to see this texture folder generate. just dont know the whys and hows of what it is doing and why it wont keep the textures even if it is a correct path. 

do any of the good people of the keyshot world have this black magic knowledge I seek?? thank you guys for taking the time out to lend a hand. cheers

patrick.

Sune

Hello Patrick,

First up, I recommend you update to the latest version of KeyShot.
You can download it here.

If that doesn't fix it, please send a ksp file of the scene to support@luxion.com

I have never tried using an external hard drive for textures, but I might be able to see if that is the issue from looking at your scene.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Sune on August 07, 2019, 11:24:33 PM
Hello Patrick,

First up, I recommend you update to the latest version of KeyShot.
You can download it here.

If that doesn't fix it, please send a ksp file of the scene to support@luxion.com

I have never tried using an external hard drive for textures, but I might be able to see if that is the issue from looking at your scene.

My co-worker and I store our libraries on a network drive and both link to it through the Folder Preferences, and we can both use and store presets there to share, works fantastically.

br3ttman

Hi Patrick,

A few of us had this same issue before:  https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=23883.msg101602#msg101602
It's a bug with 8.1.6.  Upgrade to the newest release and it will disappear.  In the meantime, reimport the missing textures that got "moved" instead of "copied" into your KSP file back onto your external hard drive, so that KeyShot will find them there when you open up the original scene.  Unfortunately, because of this bug, I found I also had to remap a number of my textures to recreate the scene.  Fortunately, this disappears with 8.2 and newer.

ninosboombox

Thank you all for the replies. it is strange, it only happened with cgaxsis models, other model kits did not have that same behavior and would load textures from the external hd with no problem. My work around was I re imported the texture to 1 of the trees in the scene. then just copy / pasted the texture on the other trees, it would then appear correct once closing and reopening. good to know it was a bug that is remedied, it took me a little while to find the pattern and figuring a work around.

thanks guys, your awesome!! happy keyshotting!!