how to get rid of the noise on plastic

Started by kyng, September 27, 2019, 10:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyng

HI, can someone show me how to get rid of the noise on plastic material ? it seems like every time I render something in shiny plastic I get this noise effect on it . Please take a look at the photo . Thanks in advance!

INNEO_MWo

Hello kyng.

Your scene needs more samples to render.
Don't know what render settings do you use. In this case it might help if your render that image and let KeyShot save the meta file, too.
To find the right samples count, you can use the viewport and the heads-up display (that shows the samples). If you have a pro license, you can crop the viewport as a region. Then the viewport render way faster at the region/area.
And so let KeyShot render the entire scene with this samples count in max samples mode.
All other techniques would use, increase the material samples of the plastic, use custom render settings with the right samples and ray bounce value, choose a higher shadow quality, etc. Some quick test renders will lead you in the right direction. And the last finish can be done in post if there were some pixels not right.

May you can share this scene or a similar one with dummy parts but the same materials and settings.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

PS. Sorry for the short form - written on a mobile

RRIS

What I sometimes do is use a Paint material instead of Plastic, it clears up much quicker and if you don't require total realism, it works just fine. The only downside is that the color might be slightly different, so you need to adjust for that.

kyng

Thanks all . I'll take a look at that and see how this comes out . This is I did for my rendering .

andy.engelkemier

For very smooth scenes like that, use custom control. Leave everything at default, but change samples to 16 (if they aren't already).
Smooth objects that have noisy self shadows clear up MUCH faster.

If you don't have many/any internal shadows, then Maximum Samples can be faster. But in most cases, custom control is the way to go with models that look like that.

If you're using lots of depth of field, or highly textured objects that can start changing around. But getting rid of noise like that, for sure, custom control.

kyng

Sure let me try custom control at 16 and see how that comes out . Thanks!

kyng

Here is how it came out . I think it looks better on the white part but the shadow still has some noise right ?

andy.engelkemier

That's not terrible. Now, the image you posted is zoomed in a little bit, so I assume it's a screengrab. And it's then added some jpeg artifacts.
BUT, from here you can go with a few more settings.

First, is that a white plastic material? Some materials are more noisy than others. For regular smooth white, I'd use plastic. But be sure the color is NOT 100% white. Lower that to between 80-90%. Adjust lighting accordingly, but be sure none of it is blown out completely. In this shot, the yellow/gold material is blown out in the leaf shape area. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at there, but it's a solid color, and it's curved. So it's definitely blown out.

After checking that, you can increase shadow quality to see if that changes is. Are you using GI? GI quality may also have an effect.
If neither of those have an effect, then gradually increase the samples. But JUST in case, try turning Off GI cache (near the bottom, it's a checkmark). That usually only effects really tiny objects or transparent materials, but it's worth a shot.

Are you using the default environment? Good lighting is a great way to save render time. The default environment isn't that great. Try out a few of the light tent environments to see if things look a bit better. The default will look very flat. Most people have it too overbright also, which introduces more unwanted noise.

When exploring settings like this, be sure and only change ONE thing at a time. If you change to 64 samples And change materials, you'll never know what fixed it. And 64 is WAY too high. Don't do that.

kyng

for the white piece I use Paint Gloss White #1 .

andy.engelkemier

This is part of keyshot I'm not a Huge fan of. The lack of a generic material that can accomplish Any material. Instead we have lots of specific materials that you kind of have to hack into what you actually want.
For 90% of solid objects that aren't metalic, I use plastic though.

The difference between plastic and paint Appear to be only a lack of specular color.
BUT, paint materials have a built in flop that isn't available in plastic. In fact, if you create two cylinders and apply white plastic to one, the top of that will pretty much Always just be flat white.

But Plastic renders faster, and with less noise. So that's one suggestion, is to try out just changing it to plastic.
Keep in mind, plastic, you'll want to change it to between 80-90%, where white paint gloss is 100% white, and still seems to look ok.

kyng

The reason I choose the material I picked is because it looks right to my eyes before I do the final rendering and like you said, some of the materials don't come out the way they look . I am still new to this program . Like the translucent color that I want to apply to the O-rings, the color doesn't come out right . It looks much darker and has no translucent feel to it .
Any local gurus in southern California please let me know cause I want to take a class!
Thanks Andy and all for helping me on these basic stuff . 

richardfunnell

If you're testing, I would suggest trying Custom Control instead of max samples/time and increasing both the shadow quality slider and anti-aliasing slider. Instead of the basic plastic material, use "advanced" which gives you a material sample slider. Set it to something like 16 (instead of the default of 9) and it should help a lot. Good luck!

*Just saw Andy suggested CC & material samples too!

andy.engelkemier

Now I kind of want to just set up a fairly complex model and apply only one material to it, attempting the same material in paint, plastic, generic, advanced, etc. See how much the time changes for getting the same noise quality. That seems like it would be pretty valuable information.

Every other render engine that I use has been going Single material for everything. #PBRforLife
Granted, you can mix those materials, and use overrides as well. Something I'd love to see in keyshot also.

kyng

Quote from: richardfunnell on October 01, 2019, 06:01:19 PM
If you're testing, I would suggest trying Custom Control instead of max samples/time and increasing both the shadow quality slider and anti-aliasing slider. Instead of the basic plastic material, use "advanced" which gives you a material sample slider. Set it to something like 16 (instead of the default of 9) and it should help a lot. Good luck!

*Just saw Andy suggested CC & material samples too!

Hi Richard, can you screenshot the settings I can take a look ? And normally most of the products I need to render has to have a number of different materials . I even run into another problem when I need to do a cutaway view and it looks so dark inside I have to create a surface layer on the inner part where it is shown as cutaway in solidworks and then apply a different material to it to avoid the darkness . Otherwise it looks too dark due to the shadows .