Backlit Surface?

Started by NM-92, July 22, 2019, 02:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM-92

Hello forum. I'm going crazy trying to search for this material. I know i've seen a thread related but can't find it. Trying to achieve something like the photo uploaded. Any clues ? Thanks for your time.

Eugen Fetsch

Did you try Substance Designer or Alchemist?

INNEO_MWo

Hello Niko.

I used the search but didn't found the right entry. There was a thread a few years ago with a semi transparent aluminum from a MacBook housing.
We'd solved the light with a sphere that stuck half way in the surface and used an emissive material (not visible to the camera).

But in KeyShot 8 you can use a very strong spotlight projecting the time from outside onto the wood material, if you don't want to use a simple emissive layer?!

Eugen Fetsch

If you're familiar with Blender, go for this shader - https://blendermarket.com/products/7-segment-shader-cycles-eevee. Bake/render it to a texture or video and label it in KS.

NM-92

Thanks MWo , interesting technique. I can see this working with the right geometry and some bloom involved. Here's a quick test.

RRIS

Quote from: MWo on July 23, 2019, 12:10:57 AM
... if you don't want to use a simple emissive layer?!

I might not understand the question correctly, by why not use a wood material with a mask and an emissive submaterial? You can add some glow to the mask lettering to create a light/wood transition.

Will Gibbons

Wouldn't this be easily done with an emissive label?

INNEO_MWo

This is exactly what I asked (like RRIS and Will).

Attached you'll find an example scene.
On the left side you'll will see an emissive label. And on the right side the projection of a spotlight.
All details in the attached scene.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

NM-92

Ahhh, yes, i like the projection idea. Yes, it could be done with an emissive label, but somehow i didn't feel sattisfied with the results. In fact, i didn't find any appropiate ref image, so i used the one i uploaded but i was referring to those leds appearing BELOW the surface. It's commonly seen on high tech electronic products but i don't know how to search for an image. Thanks for the answers.

INNEO_MWo

Hey Niko.

To replicate this material, you can use a simple plastic or advanced material like a regular wood and use a vertex color texture with about 96% - 98% white in the opacity channel.
But you need a plane below with the emissive label.

A translucent material would bring a more photorealistic look, but tweak and render this material can took too much time?!

Cheers
Marco